Gearbox Choice & Fitting Tips

Its been a while since I have been on and a while since I have worked on my 1980 110 3.5V8 County Station Wagon. My garage is almost built so soon will be able to crack on with the project!!

I have a four speed box fitted which I would like to change for a 5 speed if this is possible? There is a loud whirring noise that I think is coming from the gearbox and when the clutch is pressed to the floor the noise fully stops. That coupled with the lack of fifth gear I would like to swap if its not too bad to do.

Any help with which box to get, options on where to get it and how much effort is involved doing the job would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dom

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks chaps

Is it likely that the transfer box would need changing too or would that stay with any of the options?

Would Ashcrofts be the best place to purchase or other?

I guess it would be sensible to replace the clutch too? Is they any other thing beneficial to do / replace at the same time.

Whats would be a typical time to do this job including removal of old parts and getting new ones on and operational? I am mechanically minded but not done this job before.

Thanks

Dom

Ashcrofts would certainly be a good start. They will be able to advise you on suitable gearboxes and what you will need to obtain. Replacing the clutch would be a good idea unless it's history is known. I would look at allowing a weekend to change the box, could be done in a day but things often don't go to plan!

Transfer box shouldn't need changing unless there's something wrong with it. What ratio is your current one do you know?

Also just noticed you listed your vehicle as a 1980 110. Is that a typo? 110s weren't around until 1983.

Yes it was a typo, its on an A plate.

Not sure of the ratio, I will have to check. There is nothing wrong with the TF box other than it has not run for around 5 years. Is it most likely that the whirring noise when the clutch is up is from the gearbox or could it actually be the transfer box? Something is not right and I thought swapping from 4 to 5 gears would kill two birds with one stone.

I used the vehicle for maybe 5 years and then off the road for 5 and the clutch has never been replaced so guess it would be a good idea. Cheers