Potential series buyer...

DiscoStu

Hi all,

I'm more usually found in the Disco section but I've been toying with the idea of buying a series for a couple of years now. I've got a Disco (300 Tdi) and had another prior to that and a 3.9 Vogue SE before that so its fair to say I like Land Rovers and dont mind getting my hands dirty.

What I want is a bit of a do everything truck, it needs to:

• do RTV trials
  • Safely carry the kids and dog in forward facing seats occaisionally (not for the dog)
  • Shift shi*t to the tip once a month
  • Be a soft top / convertible
  • Have a roll cage fitted / be able to have one fitted
  • Have a windscreen that folds forward
  • Look the dogs bollox

So pretty simple then...?

As mentioned, I've a 300Tdi that i currently use for this stuff, its a bit of a wreck but keeps soldiering on. On the plus side, its got 85,000 genuine miles on it. Any and every piece of this truck would be available to add to the series as its not worth selling except in pieces - i'm not the most gentle trialler and should have probably invested in more armour...

What would you reccomend i think about / be wary of? Can 109's be used successfully in class 5 (RTV) or is it best to go with an 88?

What kind of money am i looking at do you think?

And of course, series what??

For those who have already used a disco to enhance a series, what advice can you give?

Thanks, Stu.

You're been subject to coil spring luxury for a long time, a Series will be quite differant!

As far as I know, every one uses 88's for RTV stuff, but I could be wrong. Try and pick your self up a tax exempt series II or IIa, or failing that a very late Series III (best bits like fine spline half shafts + build quality was better in the 80's..!)

Without major modification and faffing about, there are few parts from your disco that work transfer over to the series save for the engine, even then it's not that easy! Axles, gearbox etc wont fit unless you're a metal smith! Certainly a the r380 g'box your disco has just wont go in at all. Your rear propshaft would be 3" long!

An 88 will be a bit more nimble for trialling but for lugging / family / everything else a 109 is far superior, and they're really not that much different off-road. In fact, sometimes the wheelbase is an advantage.

The 109 also leaves plenty of room for engine/gearbox swaps and rides better on the motorway (longer wheelbase & longer rear springs) plus should have the bulletproof Salisbury rear diff.

My 109 has R380, LT230 and plenty of room for propshafts :D

I wouldn't even bother transfering disco parts to the series... Do it the other way around.. Buy a series with a rotten chassis/knackered engine and put the body on top of the disco chassis. Shorten a 109 tub.. Only issue would be the canvas top.

That way you get the power, coil spring comfort, suspension that hasn't been altered and the cool series look :).

I'd say that would be the smartest thing to do. Even if you'd have to have a custom canvas top made. Upgrading the series with all the disco parts will be spendy too as more than likely you'll come across things that need doing..

I agree about the comments made above about the longer wheelbase. I love it! There's absolutely NO way I'd drive an 88". A long wheel base gives stability and comfort.

Actually, i really like that idea. This disco has already been re bodied, it's a v8 es on a tdi chassis and running gear as it was still easier to do than sort out all the rot on the original truck. I'd feel pretty confidant about doing it again even if it did mean making some changes to both.

Definitely one to think about, thanks all so far!

Stu

I second the "please don't" - breaking up a serviceable series is just not cricket - it's worth far more as a genuine Series with an engine/box transplant than a shagged out Disco with a pile of assorted panels on top.

TBH, if you don't want a Series, don't buy one - Defenders in similar condition are cheaper these days anyway as Series become more collectable, plenty of unloved 2.5NA / 2.5 Petrol / 2.5TD / 3.5 V8 Defenders out there that would be an ideal prospect for a 200TDi and go *up* in value greatly from the transplant. Also, things like disc brakes, PAS, and decent gearing are already there or a nuts-and-bolts job compared to doing the same to a Series.

I can't agree more with what Fridge said - it'll be a lot cheaper and easier to get a Defender to start with than to make a hybrid, and you'll have a much better vehicle for it unless you're after something very specific or enjoy the building more than the using. And if you are as rough trailing as you suggest, standard parts are going to be much better than the need for custom parts.

Thanks all, I can see where you're coming from but would have to say that not all series' out there are original, unmodified pieces of LR history - plenty would be improved by mating with a disco... It doesnt have to be like painting a tache on the mona lisa :)

That said, there is another issue with this idea and that is the RTV ability of such a truck - my club requires a standard sillhoutte and as far as I'm aware, if i chopped 9" out of a 109's tub i may not be able to compete or possibly would end up in a modified class that the truck wouldnt be competitive in.

Still fancy a series though, prettier than a defender by far and with much more character. Maybe I'll be trialling on leaf springs, who knows!

stu.

Get the Series, keep the leafsprings setup, improve the rest without throwing the poor creature's character down the toilet...use good taste :ph34r:

Good engine, longer dampers, you can upgrade to disc brakes and so on...portals, errrm...

(COUGH)

P.S.

Just add money where needed...

Thanks all, I can see where you're coming from but would have to say that not all series' out there are original, unmodified pieces of LR history - plenty would be improved by mating with a disco... It doesnt have to be like painting a tache on the mona lisa :)

Like Fridge, I'm not saying it to preserve another original but unremarkable vehicle from its destiny behind a shed or being smelted down. I'm hardly in a position to crow about keeping SIIIs original, after all (even if I went to great expense doing so on my Lightweight). Like Fridge, I'm saying that you are choosing the wrong base vehicle for the driving applications, regardless of your taste for the aesthetics.