Undoing Swivel Pin Bolts

Trying to do my shims and I cant undo the bolt that is closest to the brake pipe bracket. I have undone the brake pipe and tried with a socket, spanner, mole grips. Used plus gas a hammer and a punch.

The bracket is in the way meaning you cant 'seat' the socket on firmly which has caused the edges to round off slightly. The bracket probably pushes the socket up about 1mm for about 50% of its coverage (Does that make sense?).

What have others done? Its pretty tight down there and the bolt wont budge. The other came off ok as it was easier to get to!

what have others done? Can I 'remove' the bracket? It looks spot welded. Its a PITA.

G

If the brake pipe is still in the way then it looks like you may need to remove the brake pipe ( I know!.....it involves brake bleeding!) so then you should be able to fit a socket right over the bolt. I had this problem on a vehicle with two brake pipes on each side.

Steve

A ratchet spanner wont sit level due to the bracket being in the way. I have removed the brake pipe and bent back the tab but its the bottom of the tab where it is welded onto the plate that is in the way. I can get a socket on it but it wont sit level and slips off due to limited purchase. I have been using a 17mm. Imperial sockets wouldn't fit either.

Time to smash on a 16mm?

This bloody thing: http://www.google.co...29,r:0,s:0,i:69

The bolt hole on the right. I wonder if mine has spun around (clockwise) a little causing the upright bit to be too close to the bolt head. Looks to be spot welded so I may chisel it off in the morning.

Anybody done this?

G

EDIT: Interestingly some photos show a 1 piece bracket, others spot welded like above. Mine is like the original one above!