V8 Auto 110 Oil Cooler Configuration - what's best?

Fatboy

Morning Gents!

While i wait on some parts, I'm having a major sort out and getting bits together for the imminent assembly on the 110. (Must start a build thread).

I've got:

1. A good condition, standard Range Rover V8 auto radiator which has built in tanks either side for engine and gearbox oils and the standard bog brush oil cooler that went with it.

2. A bullet proof HD, radiator which was built for a 90 that has a built in tank for engine oil cooling only.

I assume the Range Rover configuration helps the gearbox oil get to temp quicker because it is alongside the water and keeps it steadier for the same reason?

I'd rather use the bullet proof rad and could either use the bogbrush on its own or buy another oil cooler and fit it in front of the rad but would this be sufficient? I guess I could hook a temp gauge on or thermostat and use a fan if the box gets warm or should I use the RR system because of the warm up function?

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Donald

Fridge,

I was focussing on the gearbox but you've raised a good point...

What gearbox do you have in your wagon? Mine is going to be a ZF so I've got input and output hoses that need to go somewhere.

If the 4.6 is happy without the oil cooler on the rad, I could use that chamber for the gearbox therefore it will have its temp assisted by radiator water. (The engine oil gets that anyway I suppose).

I would have thought that the autobox will be working harder in the 110 than it would in a RRC due to weight and aerodynamics so will need more cooling than the only-just-sufficient- bog brush.

Better to be over cooled than to cook your box (so to speak :moglite: )