Td5 Fuel Pump. Which one??

Terra Dog

Hi guys.

Unfortunately the fuel pump on my 52 plate disco gave up today after whining for the past week.

I was just wondering if anyone has and experience with them and could advise me which one to get.

I understand that obviously the genuine ones would be best to replace it with, but are there any good qaulity aftermarket types which are just as reliable but cheaper?

Also by the looks of it i'm going to have to cut a clean line across the rear carpet between the two rear seat load space catches in order to create a flap in the carpet to obtain access the the fuel pump, otherwise it's a case of removing the whole carpet which looks like a nightmare. Am I right in thinking this?

Regards

TD

If you can get a VDO one they are the OE manufacturers. Doubt you will find one for much less than £200 though. Sometimes they do come up on Ebay. Do yourself a favour and don't buy a Britpart one. The one newly fitted to the truck when I bought it howled like a Banshee and the fuel gauge was miles out....

Dont cut the carpet - there is no need,just undo the trim piece across the tailgate and you can "gently" pull the carpet out from the sides to gain access to the hatch.Be careful with cheap pumps,they are not too good....

Just a suggestion, if you do it this way you will find that the shape of the cover imprinted in the foam backing. Use a sharp stanley knife and cut the carpet around the line of the imprint for future ease of access.

Don't cut all the way around - leave about a 4" piece at the front uncut. This will act as a hinge for future use. If it is cut tidily you will hardly know it is there from the top.

Peter.

Just a suggestion, if you do it this way you will find that the shape of the cover imprinted in the foam backing. Use a sharp stanley knife and cut the carpet around the line of the imprint for future ease of access.

Don't cut all the way around - leave about a 4" piece at the front uncut. This will act as a hinge for future use. If it is cut tidily you will hardly know it is there from the top.

Peter.

If you can do it once without cutting - why bother cutting it at all,the pumps last 80-100k so its not like you need to be in there every 6 months....

Hi Guys. A quick update on the fuel pump issue. I got the pump changed today with an original but 6 month old one, and it turns out I had let the damn thing run dry due to not filling up when I should have. From now on it's not going lower than quater of a tank. LoL

Regards

TD

Hi Guys. A quick update on the fuel pump issue. I got the pump changed today with an original but 6 month old one, and it turns out I had let the damn thing run dry due to not filling up when I should have. From now on it's not going lower than quater of a tank. LoL

Regards

TD

It's not a good idea to run out of fuel with a TD5. Best thing is to carry a small can - 5 or 10l just to be on the safe side.