98 110 Defender windscreen glazing rubber

how many years have you on it? My genuine lasted 10 years and only replaced due to windscreen needing to be. The new rubber was supplied with window and is only 2 years old.....failing badly :( My LR is parked outside 24/7 and alot of that in Oz sun....that cant help

If you a fitting it yourself there is a trick to cutting away part of the rubber to make it fit more easily.

I was told that without removing the bit it is near impossible to fit without it popping back out.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Mine was fitted by a pro windscreen man in this way. It was an allmakes one which is still doing well.

I have just had an allmakes one fitted, although they did have two attempts to do this it was not the fault of the rubber but the head lining preventing the rubber from seating correctly.

The second guy that came out gave me some tips when using a new rubber which his college should have followed....

Remove the inside side trim strips

Remove the rear view mirror and the sun visiors

Remove the two front door trims this will allow the head lining to release a little and allow the top of the screen to lip in as because it's new it will be thicker than the one removed.

Before fitting the seal onto the screen 'wet soap' the windscreen edges which will allow it to slide around more.

Once you have drawn the rope in and almost fitted the screen wet the screen again this will again help it seat.

Job done, my last one lasted about 5 years and two screens and may have done another one but as the cost is not great I decided to change it.

Jason.

http://forums.lr4x4....eal#entry551794

I asked this a while ago. I got the bitpart one and its still fine nearly 2 years later and was a good fit.

Jad

Another Britpart success story :)

My original screen and seal must have lasted well over 15 years, pretty perished and split when it came out though, but not leaking. I only had it replaced because the screen broke.

The replacement was supplied by the windscreen company, so no idea of brand, but it's still in there many years on and looking good.