flat battery on defender td5

lyron

good morning o knowlegable ones, just been out to help our cousin with his td5 fender. symptoms are dead flat battery. put the spare one on starts fine, go to switch the damn thing off, nothing, zip zero, would it switch off, would it eckers like.so i put it in top foot firmly on the brake pedal ready to stall it. but it stopped the very moment i put the brake pedal down. so thought try that again, and evry time we ran it up switched off and then pressed brake pedal it stopped, i would assume we have an electrical problem (which is what caused it to kill the battery in the first place. any ideas because i am stummped.

many thanks

ron.

first off clean up all the earths you can find. Especially the ecu earth. Then, disconnect the battery neg and put a multimeter set to its ammeter function in series between bat and neg lead (make sure everything is switched off, multimeters are usually fused to 10 amps so dont switch the ignition on or anything). Anything over 0.03 amps (radio and immobiliser etc will draw a small amount) and you have a system that isn't powering down and will be draining your battery. With the multimeter still connected pull the fuses in the fusebox one by one until the drain is removed, you will then know which circuit is causing it.

many thanks for the very quick responce, it has been driving us nuts trying to find the fault, will check everything suggested and see what happens. (am i glad we own an old 300tdi discovery ) :i-m_so_happy: a lot less complicated :unsure:

ron.

well.just had the defender in today to find out why the battery went down, found one or two faults. radio kept coming on and off all on it's own. ignition switch would not switch off so the damn pump was still on all the time,e c u badly earthed. :blush: but apart from that everything seems to be ok :wacko: i do wish these young lads would take better care of their cars :i-m_so_happy::i-m_so_happy: thanks for all tyhe helpfull advice.

ron.