110 G4 Roof Rack - low level & contoured

Dunc

Hi everyone,

After a roof rack for the 110 and i fancy one of the ones that look like this;

land_rover_defender_18_02_04.jpg

I think it's the same as a G4 rack, certainly looks G4-ish in that pic.

I've lloked on the safety devices site and several of the accessory suppliers but i can't get a price or the right shape. They all seem to have the big square scaffold tube type that Brownchurch do, but i can't find the ones that follow the roof profile at the front of the truck.

Any help appreciated. :)

• 2 years later...

Bear in mind the only rack that will stand up to regular use is a galvanised one. Most of the black ones are plastic coated, look nice when new but the coating damages very easily if you are actually using it for carrying stuff (as opposed to fitting it just for the look of the thing) and as soon as water gets inside the coating you are doomed and within a year or two it will be peeling off and rusting like hell underneath.

I think you can still buy the black G4 type ones as a normal LR accessory but they cost an arm and a leg!

I just have a couple of roof bars for the 110 for carrying bridging plates, I decided after owning a couple of 90s with full Brownchurch commercial racks on that I wanted to get away from something that cornered like a galleon in a Force 10 :)

I would be galvanizing it anyway, everything mild-steel on the vehicle is being done. One of my upcoming purchases is a hydraulic tube bender strong enough to do chassis and roll-cage so since there seems to be so much demand for these I figure once I have one I can knock up a couple more the same or similar.

For the cornering issue what I have done is fitted outboard shocks all around and am putting in 4 supplemental airbags that will be cab-controllable (both for stiffening up on the highway/wind and for crossing steep slopes with the rack, being able to force articulation is major). I am hoping this helps enough to make it nearly invisible most of the time.

Bear in mind the only rack that will stand up to regular use is a galvanised one.

Or a Alloy,, Patriot one,, Mine must be 5/6 years old now,,

All the racks used for the G4 vehicles were floored,, as per dunc picture (2003/2006 events)

As Bog says,, you can still get the G4 type rack from LR around £850/900 mark !!!

100_2776.jpg

The one I am looking at is more in the 500GBP range (and considering what it will cost to ship to Canada... eeek) and will remove the plywood and put a chicken-coop floor on instead. Need to remove it for winter as well since no matter what full-expedition rack (I have a Hannibal on my D2) the snow is a nightmare to deal with.

True, no experience of an alli one as they are out of my price range before I even think about the freight :)

I do wonder how they would stand up to metal fatigue from something like carrying a spare wheel on rough roads.

I do wonder how they would stand up to metal fatigue from something like carrying a spare wheel on rough roads.

Very well so far,, regularly carriers 12 wheels and tyres + other spares, and awning,, when used as a chase car

IMG_0273-1.jpg

Done a few trips to Spain/Portugal/Morocco etc, load with roof tent, stores box awning etc etc,,

and still no sign of fatigue or wear, bar not as shinny as when new !!!!

P1010014.jpg