Soldering irons

mikec

Still have some bakers in the shed somewhere .... assuming it hasn't rotted it's way out of the tin :blink:

I'd advise against the file on modern soldering iron tips as most are plated now and the file will bugger it up. Clean it with something less aggressive like a little wire wool, once the plating has gone on a plated tip they are fit for the bin.

Other than that do as Mike says ;)

I still carry an emergency soldering kit in the cubby box (for joining wires), consists of a small roll of cored solder, some of the foil from inside a fag packet and a cheap gas lighter. Twist wires together, lie a length of solder along the bares wires, wrap in foil and heat with lighter till solder flows. Insulate (carry a small roll go tape) and job done.

Have to admit to owning a number of gas powered irons, best of which came from a poundshop!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Mr Freezer and RJFs recommendation I now have an SP-200 and boy what a revelation :)

I also managed to fix my leaky gas iron so I'm all good again for now .... although a portasol super pro mk2 will be on the shopping list when the tip on my current gas one finally dies.