rear diff flange leak

Looking for a little advice please. 2003 td5 defender

its mot time coming soon and my rear diff flange seal is leaking (again) and this time i was wondering if i fitted myself to save labour if i need any special tools.

roughly thinking its chock landy

remove rear propshaft

undo flange nut

remove flange somehow and old seal

clean - any ideas here?

find some sort of extra sealant to help stop it oozing

refit parts above

thinking using this kit STC4858 from somebody like lrdirect as its a bearmach kit.

so advice on kit - supplier - how best to clean - any sealants to use and any huge flaws in my plan.

it doesnt leak badly but its persistant and on my 2nd dealer fitted one in couple years.

thanks

davie

What's causing the leak?

Is it coming out between the seal and the drive-flange, or between the drive-flange and the diff casing?

If the former, I'd suggest you have an underlying problem like time-expired pinion-bearings, or maybe a groove worn in the drive-flange where the seal bears on it. Seal-replacement's not going to be a long-term fix.

If the latter - strip it, clean it, refit the seal with a bead of a non-hardening gasket compound [my preference being Blue Hylomar].

Also, check that the axle-breather is unobstructed: if your diff is pressurising because of a blocked breather then all the new seals and sealant in the world's not gonna help!

~~Tanuki.

"No man is totally useless: he can always serve as a horrible example to others".

seems to be where drive flange and seal are so the idea of sealent would work hopefully. its a very slow ooze and only requires a top up once a year of a quarter litre or less. just leaves outside of casing damp which sucks at mot time

If you are lazy you could just clean with a rag before you go to mot.

Oil leaks are not fails unless they hinder safety such as oil leaks onto brake discs.

I checked this with my mot man as my engine is very wet.

He said it was fine on drive train, engine and gearboxes.