Discovery 300TDi and TD5

SparkyMark

Had a brief look through to see if there are any other topics on this, but couldn't see any...

I'm after views and opions on changing from a reliable 300 Tdi to a TD5 Discovery

I've had my 300 TDi Discovery for 11 years now, and vowed I would never get rid of it as there's no ECU etc to go wrong.
The only thing it does have that could fail is ABS, but so far it's been simple things that have failed on that.

Anyway, mine has suddenly got loads on niggly little faults, such as doors not opening properly, central locking playing up, absolutely pouring in water from under dash and rear alpine window when it rains, driver's seat failing, steering box on it's way out etc.

Now I know a lot of these faults are Discovery ones, and that it is now 18 years old with 174000 on it, but I'm thinking I'm about to spend loads of time fiddling about with catches and the like again (my driver's door card has been on and off so many times most of the clips have failed!)

Over the last 2-3 years I've had the rear floor and inner wings welded, sills patched, so corrosion wise it's not too bad, and front and rear disks & callipers, along with a new clutch arm and clutch 10000 miles ago.

I put an Alisport large intercooler on it 7 years ago and with slight tweaking and a non-cat down pipe and blanked egr, it flies.

But, I'm just getting fed up with the continual damp inside, and wondering whether doors will open or not.

I know TD5 Disco's have their issues, but just wondering whether people's views are don't do it, or go for it!

Thanks

I've had my 2002 TD5 since it had 4k on the clock, so about the same as you and I've driven over 120,000 miles in it.

I've had LOADS go wrong with it, but it still remains a great tool (for towing especially)

You could buy a TD5 and have no issues. You could buy one and get a £1500 fault within a month!

The question is how good is YOUR Disco? If the only faults are ones you can rectify yourself, fairly cheaply, I'd stick with yours. Unless you can buy a TD5 from a friend you may be getting more problems than you have now!

BUT they are great cars- when they're running well.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Funnily enough it's a 2002 TD5 that I'm half thinking of looking at. Will go and look and see as it's very local to me.
My dad had a 1999 TD5 Disco and it was a continual list of bits that needed changing, and a mechanic I know suggested I keep the 300, in his words 'unless I want to spend a lot of money repairing it'

I actually bought a similar aged 300 Tdi for spares, so have most bits that need changing - but it's time and faffing about.

Will probably end up keeping mine as in 11 years the only time mine let me down was when the clutch arm went.

Thanks for the advice.

Mark

i built a classic rangerover chassis up galvy about 17 years ago now

i went through 2 classic bodys could not get hold of another so went down the

road of disco body , started with an es body on it when it got so rusty

chamged about 5 years ago now and still ok ish so was wondering if the td5 shell would fit

the chassis all righy ?????

sorry for longwinded but apart from a gearbox failure and just the usaul clutch change and bushes ect

no real problems

and they are easy to fix and cheap to source parts

where the td5 is so expensive for spares and the brain issues

That's dedication for you - changing the body several times!

Funnily enough I've wondered about TD5 body on classic/300 chassis - know the rear overhang is longer so I guess you'd need to extend chassis...

Or shorten rear of TD5 body?

From what I've gathered, TD5 bodies are very good rot wise but the chassis can rust - opposite of 300 TDI

Or transplant 300 TDI engine/box into dead TD5 and rip out a lot of excess wiring!

Hi there. Seen the posts had to ask.

I was thinking of a TD5 Disco changing from a 1997 300 run about and before that a 1990 200 now for on/off road. I still run both and I have seen a fair bit of corrosion in both, floors, sills and inner guards although reliable enough.

So will a TD5 corrode similar to the 300/200, plus maybe have electrical faults?

So will a TD5 corrode similar to the 300/200, plus maybe have electrical faults?

I bought my TD5 in August with 10 months MOT in November I found that my chassis was completely shot. I have given up trying to weld it and have already replace about 4 ft of chassis with possibly another 2-5 ft to go.

I like the car so much I am going to put a galvanised chassis on it and replace all the shocks bushes etc..

Hello confused person ,I just wish life could be as simple as your quandry . I have recently been on a `run` around derbyshire with a group of Discovery td5`s ,howling rain ,cold ,what a day . One td5 owner complained at one of our many coffee stops `,I have just changed a Discovery 300tdi for this td5 and the 300 would beat it to death ,this is all electric the other was totally manual and go anywhere without hesitation,I made the wrong choice .Another friend has just paid a lot of money for a td5 Discovery ,first day filled it to the brim and left most of it on the road while driv ing home , later on ( 2 days )a misfire developed found to be an oil soaked wireing harness ( main dealer could not find prob ) this bloke is miff`d ,he traded his beloved ,new clutch ,new panels ,serviced ,m.o t.`d taxed 300 tdi Discovery for a shiny newer td5 and is now regreting the move .All in all if your only problems are niggles then spend some dedicated time sorting them or `pay` someone ,if you know your car and am basically happy then let your head rule your heart and not the other way round .Sorry but have been there .COACHMAN .

Hello confused person ,I just wish life could be as simple as your quandry . I have recently been on a `run` around derbyshire with a group of Discovery td5`s ,howling rain ,cold ,what a day . One td5 owner complained at one of our many coffee stops `,I have just changed a Discovery 300tdi for this td5 and the 300 would beat it to death ,this is all electric the other was totally manual and go anywhere without hesitation,I made the wrong choice .Another friend has just paid a lot of money for a td5 Discovery ,first day filled it to the brim and left most of it on the road while driv ing home , later on ( 2 days )a misfire developed found to be an oil soaked wireing harness ( main dealer could not find prob ) this bloke is miff`d ,he traded his beloved ,new clutch ,new panels ,serviced ,m.o t.`d taxed 300 tdi Discovery for a shiny newer td5 and is now regreting the move .All in all if your only problems are niggles then spend some dedicated time sorting them or `pay` someone ,if you know your car and am basically happy then let your head rule your heart and not the other way round .Sorry but have been there .COACHMAN .
Slightly condescending opinion there tbh mate.

I don't think people are confused, there are just differing points of view. Some people love their 300's some love their TD5's. Some hate them equally!

So you know a couple of people that have had problems with their TD5, not exactly a poll is it?

I don't think a 300 would "beat it to death" as you found out in your other post when you got stuck on an incline. The TD5 would probably have pi55ed it like your TD4 did with traction control.

It may be that yours isn't running right?

Dave