Auxillary Fuse box/Relay bank

As part of the rebuild of my 90 I intend to tidy up the spaghetti of wires that have been added over the years for accessories such as fog, lamps, Heated seats etc etc.

So I was thinking about putting all the fuses and relays in an auxillary fuse box under the bonnet. So, if I head down the the local scrappy what should I be looking for? Are there any cars that have good fuse boxes for this type of application?

Personally I wouldn't put it under the bonnet as that is somewhere that is likely to get very wet, my preference is to use the spare space under the passenger seat (I don't use the space for the jack etc as I carry a bottle-jack etc in the back). As long as this area has been water-proofed (i.e. plug up the holes!) it is unlikeley to get wet unless you go in for a lot of deep wading in which case a water-proof box or high-up mounting is required.

VWP do a lot of fuse-boxes, relays, mountings etc and you can build a nice custom set-up to fit the space you have available instead of trying to get an (old) fusebox to fit 'somewhere'.

As long as this area has been water-proofed (i.e. plug up the holes!) it is unlikeley to get wet unless you go in for a lot of deep wading in which case a water-proof box or high-up mounting is required.

Just a word of caution, depending on type of battery, make sure you have adequate ventilation for the battery box.

Steve

Stands to reason the battery box should normally be ventilated but mine isn't 100% sealed (very difficult to seal it completely) and I did have an Exide Maxxima fitted (worst battery ever, don't buy one etc etc) so venting wasn't an issue anyway.

Stands to reason the battery box should normally be ventilated but mine isn't 100% sealed (very difficult to seal it completely) and I did have an Exide Maxxima fitted (worst battery ever, don't buy one etc etc) so venting wasn't an issue anyway.

Why was the Maxxima a problem?

I have a pair and am not sure that they retain their charge well.

Thanks

John