Broadband ISP

najw

I had major issues with BT many years ago and now we are totally BT free in our house.

NTL provide all of our services. We have a 10MB connection now. The service has been very reliable for last few years.

Other family members have Pipex (BT Based) which is also proving very reliable.

I also help friends and family to maintain their computers.. (Am I mad or what !)

This may be a gerneralisation but..... Those that run AOL have had far more general PC issues than those without. Those that have converted into AOL generally develop PC performance issues. (The AOL program is Bloatware and incredibly resource hungry.)

It seems weird though, those who like the "We will show you how to live your life" approach from AOL are very forgiving when it dies on them, fails to connect, or just kills their machine.

Neil

Useful feedback thanks.

As some of you sound like you know what you are talking about, maybe you can shed some light on my dilemma.

I can receive emails OK

I get periods when I can't send email

I can't 'Reply' to an email but can send a new one to the sender

I can open web pages

I can't upload on webpages like forums or forms

Does this sound like an ISP problem or a line fault?

Are you using the same old email address with the new service? That would mean you could receive emails on the old address but probably not send them as you are trying (and failing) to connect to the old server to send mail.

Find out the new service's server to send mail through and it should work.

If that doesn't make sense let me know and I'll go through it step by step!

Richard

edited to add: eg. I had a uni address which could be picked up through any connection, but to send mail through it I had to set outlook to send via smtp.blueyonder.co.uk, as blueyonder were my ISP. As long as the reply-to address is set to the one you want it set to, nobody will notice which ISP has actually sent it.

The line is just a pipe from your PC to the ISP, if you can get one bit of data down it you should be able to get any bit of data down it. Everything else is software.

If you really must know, your connection is only layer 1-2 or 3 of the OSI 7-Layer model, the other layers are further up/down the chain at each end and are what determins why one service will work but another won't.

Damn, I've obviously been on one too many IP training courses... :(