Another journey to MS1 conversion

cosecon

I will do the following test durring the weekend.

1.set the temp pot on the stim to one specific value. Measure also resistance with ohmmeter

2. write down the megatune value (original firmware)

3. Flash with rv8 firmware

4. check temperature. If temperature is the same....problem. If temp changed then all ok.

Any objection to this simple experiment? Any different approach?

Acording to Megamanual

Quote "Easy Therm

If you are using non-standard coolant and/or air temp sensors with a MS-I™ controller, you must create “.inc” files that are essentially look-up tables for your MegaSquirt® EFI controller to relate resistance to temperature (For MS-II™ you can change the curves directly in TunerStudio, with no other steps necessary). These files must then be compiled into one .s19 file, and then down loaded to the MegaSquirt® controller. EasyTherm makes it very easy to use “non-standard” temperature sensors with the MegaSquirt® controller. It does three things that otherwise can be a bit of a pain:

1) It automatically creates the .inc files from 3 temperature/resistance pairs. Entry in degrees Fahrenheit or degrees Celsius is allowed. Non-standard bias resistor values can be entered.

2) It creates the .s19 file using the above data - you do not need a compiler!

3) It downloads this .s19 file to the MegaSquirt® controller via the serial link (once R6 is shorted to enter bootloader mode), and reboots the MegaSquirt® - so you do not need to mess with Hyperterminal.

Do not forget that you need to copy the applicable .inc files that EasyTherm creates to your MegaTune directory after a successful down load.

Note that you do not need EasyTherm with MS-II, you can calibrate the thermistor tables directly in TunerStudioMS (under 'Tools') without reloading code." Unquote

I can understand these 3 files are needed for the megatune to display correctly.

This is also confirmed by http://www.extraefi.co.uk/oem_temp.htm

Quote "Stage 3: MegaTune / Tuner Studio

After installing MegaTune or Tuner Studio, copy your generated inc files from the above stage (c:/programfiles/easytherm/)
into the directory
MegaTune users: c:/programfiles/megasquirt/Car1/mtCfg/
Tuner Studio Users: mydocuments/TunerStudioProjects/Car1/inc/

airdenfactor.inc - That is for the inlet Air Temp sensor
matfactor.inc - That is also for the Air temp sensor
thermfactor.inc - This is for the coolant temp sensor

easydir.JPG

Your display should now correspond to the temperature your sensors are at.
If you had saved the config (msq) file before doing the above then re-load it now, before plugging in the coil packs." Unquote

From my observations, the rover v8 and the GM sensor are different when cold. At working temperature, the reading is almost identical.

I agree with your observation, I was running the gm data for a while before I knew any better, and I could see the temp was wrong at low temp. I corrected with the proper data but I got confusing results until I realised MT needed access to the new .inc files.

I prefer to use MSToolsII because it documents the inc file better with F and C. I then compile the file manually (much easier than it sounds)

That also gives me the opportunity to tweak the airdenfactor.inc as I find ms1 leans out the mixture too much at high ambient temps. Not a problem for most on the forum but useful for those of us who live in seasonally hot parts of the world.