Bad running after new exhuast fitment

Josh NZ

Hey folks.

I recently fitted a new exhaust to my landy because my old one was holy and seriously noisy, and i now have a bad running engine :angry:

Its recently had a big dollar rebuild in the engine department and is running approx 9:1 ratio with oversize bore, reground crank, unleaded head etc and was running sweet as a nut until i replaced the exhaust last week.

It starts on the button and settles into a rather lumpy idle and if i blip the throttle or hold it approx 1200rpm it will chug a bit of black smoke out. I feel that its overfuelling badly.. :(

How can i fix the issue (Its stopping me from driving the truck).. is it a job for the mixture screw or is it my timing or something worse?

And what would have caused the issue in the first place? I would like to find this out as its a good thing to know for future landy excursions :lol:

Josh

What engine are we talking about? I'm guessing the standard 4-pot 2286 LR petrol lump rather than a six or V8.

Changing the exhaust shouldn't have caused your problem - unless someone has done something stupid. Did the intake/exhaust-manifold have to come off? (I'm thinking here about needing to drill-out old manifold-to-downpipe studs).

One really odd problem I did experience a while back was where the heat-riser plate (sandwiched between the intake and exhaust manifolds) had a hole rust in it. At low RPM exhaust-gas was being fed back into the intake-manifold - which caused all sorts of lumpy/smoky/backfirey-types of problems.

I doubt very much that the exhaust change from old and clapped out to new would make it belch black smoke... The zenith is so simple, you only set the idle mixture anyways, running is fixed.

Could also be that whilst trying to get to exhaust in you snagged the choke cable....?

I didn't think to look at the choke cable, but It doesn't really have stuck choke characteristics.

Does the exhaust affect anything to do with the running?

Could It be that the exhaust is restricting the engine in some way? It seems to be way too much of a coincidence that the carb would suddenly decide to play up. I don't think the fuels dirty.. Might top it up anyway. Carb cleaner didn't have any effect so I might go get some wd40 and start lathering the engine in it and see if there's a leak