Defender 90 1989

I've just bought the above car with the intention of fixing it up for my 17th birthday but I didn't get a chance to sit in it before getting it home. Now it is home I've realised that I can't get my foot onto the brake pedal because the brake pedal is slightly raised compared to the throttle/clutch which means that I just jam my foot against the side of it rather than on it so I can press it. Is there any way to extend the seat travel backwards, lower the brake so it's flush with the others or raise the steering wheel so that I can use all 3 pedals?
I've seen mud rails or something but they won't work as the bulk head prevents the seat going further back so the bulkhead will probably have to come out if possible plus mud rails will raise the seat meaning my legs got the steering wheel. Any suggestions?
Cheers
Jamie

Hi, welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of landrovers...

You could get a smaller diameter steering wheel... Seat rails might help as it changes the dynamic. Where in the would are you, there might be a local person on here that could let you try them!

Cheers,

Mike

What body type is the 90 you have? Hard top? Truck cab?

You can get bulkhead removal bars that allow you to cut part of the bulkhead away to allow the seat to go further back (obviously you can't do this on a truck cab)

Welcome to the forum! And good luck with your project :)

Is the brake pedal a long way up compared to the clutch pedal? They should be at an even level. I know that the clutch pedal height can definitely be adjusted and seem to remember the brake pedal can be also.... Feel free to correct me though.

Might be worth checking it out before spending money on steering wheels and seat rails :)

Mat

The throttle pedal would generally be slightly lower than the brake and clutch; suppose its so you don't press the accelerator while braking in big boots, but the clutch and brake pedals should be at the same height.

It could also be that your clutch pedal is lower than it should be, in which case you're back to square one :)

The clutch pedal should be 140mm from the level part of the foot well to the bottom of the pedal:

clutchpedaladjustment.png

Hope that helps

Mat

Cheers guys, the clutch was slight low. I've decided to go with removing the bulkhead and fitting the bar and rails. At some point in the bear future I'll probably post a list of wanted parts once I find out what's needed and will start a new thread about a leaky door.

Atvb

Jamie

• 5 months later...

In actual fact to adjust the brake pedal is possible from taking the brake servo out and theres an adjuster inside. Did it to my 1989 90 hard top only a few weeks ago :) just about to finish a deal selling for 3999 quid and bought as a project for 500£ few years ago. Any problems give me a message and ill be glad to help. Where I can :) but of a late reply I no :)

Best of luck Ben

that servo adjuster is only to set the clearance between pedal/servo & the brake master cylinder piston, if no gap then the brakes will drag, I've just been through that game,

there is no brake pedal adjuster similar to the clutch pedal, which is for the same job to set the working clearance to prevent clutch slip.

Cheers guys, should have updated that the pedal issue is sorted as I've fitted mud rails and removed the bulkhead and fitted the removal bar which has given me the extra room needed although I may fit a smaller steering wheel at some point if I condone I like.

Cheers