Broken halfshaft?

Hi All

Got a bit of a problem with my 1991 110 csw.

Driving home earlier I went around a tight, 3rd gear uphill left hander and there was a 'clonk clonk clonk clonk' from, I think, the front end. It drove ok after that for the next two miles home.

When I got home, engaging 2nd gear to turn left into my house and 'clonk', no drive.

The only way I can get drive is by locking the centre diff. Moving the car like this is accompanied by lots of clonking.

Broken halfshaft or something more serious?

How should I test for a broken halfshaft and identify which one?

Is it a big job on the front? I presume the swivel needs to come apart?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Broken on the front or rear ?

Stick the Defender into gear with somebody in the drivers seat. Handbrake off and into gear. Now look underneath and see which prop is turning.

If the rear prop turns. Take the rubber caps off and check that the halfshafts are not turning in the drive flanges.

If a drive flange. Simple to remove the flang from the halfshaft, check the halfshaft splines and replace.

If a rear halfshaft. Pull the shafts and check which shaft is broken, put the broken one back. Get a liong rod and with somebody holding the shaft against the rod. Push the shaft out. Now drain the diff oil and clean the bits out of the diff.

No I haven't done a front one

The chances of it being the CV are quite high if all this happened when turning.

Start by checking as described above for which prop is turning. Then jack each wheel up and see if you can turn it to find out which side the broken shaft is on.

If it's a cv, then you're stripping the whole lot down.

Gordon

Sounds like a CV joint to me. They are not especially difficult to strip as long as you have a decent set of spanners and sockets. You will also need the big box spanner or socket for the bearing nuts. Beyond that I like to give everything a good clean while I am there so a pan of degreasant, an old pantbrush and some rags and the whole job should only take a couple of hours. With a rattle gun and some pressing time motivation I have seen CVs changed in 15-20 minutes. It is worth having some 'one shot' grease to hand as well to replace the oil in the hub.

If you are unlucky it could be your differential but they tend to be fairly tough and less likely to start making noises only when cornering - a knock knock knocking when cornering is classic CV wear but they do not usually fail quickly but get progressively noisier. The only solution is investigation I am afraid.

Could shamelessly I draw your attention to my for sale items: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=81927

Chris

Broken on the front or rear ?

Stick the Defender into gear with somebody in the drivers seat. Handbrake off and into gear. Now look underneath and see which prop is turning.

If the rear prop turns. Take the rubber caps off and check that the halfshafts are not turning in the drive flanges.

If a drive flange. Simple to remove the flang from the halfshaft, check the halfshaft splines and replace.

If a rear halfshaft. Pull the shafts and check which shaft is broken, put the broken one back. Get a liong rod and with somebody holding the shaft against the rod. Push the shaft out. Now drain the diff oil and clean the bits out of the diff.

No I haven't done a front one

Please only do this with diff lock out as it will move and it hurts if you are in the way

Hi all

I did the above test (don't worry, can't do it with the diff lock in as I have to hold it in due to worn linkage! that's the next job.....oh joy!) Its the front shaft spinning so the problem is definitely at the front.

I spoke to my local garage who is pretty well keyed up on Landy's and he's pretty sure its the cv joint, he reckons he can do it fairly cheaply without using Britparts, so as there's rain forecast in the next few days, he's got the job and is picking it up tomorrow.

There are occasions when you just have to put your hand in your pocket and pay someone else to do the job, I think this is one of them.

At least I'll get the old beastie back on the road quickly.

Incidentally, its done 206k so I can't complain really!

Thanks very much for all the advice, you guys have been brilliant over the years.

Ralph