Disco 2 vs Defender Steering Boxes & Hydro Assist

martifers

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 4 bolt Defender Steering box (STC8384E / QAF500110) and the QAF500050E Disco 2 steering box? I have heard that Adwest do (or may have done at some point) an uprated defender steering box with disco 2 internals? If they are stronger, can they be fitted to defenders? Is there any truth in this and has anyone done so?

I currently have a 4 bolt box with disc 1 drop arm set up on my defender. Looking at hydro assist to reduce the wear on the box during challenges but could turn out (excuse the pun ;)) to be cheaper to replace with a stronger box.... Not expecting or to bothered about much of an increase in steering power from hyrdo assist (looking at the Robhybrid designed kit sold by Llama / Gweyn Lewis) since I don't really want to break TRE's unnecessarily but i do worry about the strain on the standard 4 bolt box.

Anyone able to advise?

Regard

Sharpie

Hi, i believe there is an option of a box with disco 2 internals which bolts on the chassis rail, however, this has no provision for the panhard rod mount. I also think that the droparm fouls something. also, the spline of the uj is different. It basically needs things sorting out before it works.

Also, although the shaft is bigger, and it is about 25% faster ration, they dont seem to be that reliable. Jim Marsden broke several i believe, and rather than break the shaft it knackers the worm, so the endresult is still no steering. Not a great option IMO, but I dont have a better idea either...

Daan

Cheers Dan. I did notice the lack of pan hard rod mount but did not know of the fouling or the differing UJ. Maybe hydro assist is the easiest option. Jim can't be the only person to have used one, maybe others will come out of the wood work...

I thought I remembered from somewhere that the D2 box worked at higher pressure. It certainly provides a lot more assistance on the same size tyres as I used to run on my D1, on what is probably a marginally heavier vehicle. I haven't tried hanging it out of a tree to see if it breaks.

The worm is made of chocolate, the sector shaft is huge in comparison to a normal 4 bolt box but the weak point the is the worm & roller, personaly I have punched the roller through the worm on each box so far, end result being the steering locks up & the car goes where it likes, did one box on the 1st lap at kov, then another for the 3rd & previous to that did 2 in normal challenge events, the car I codrive for is doing a box most events with the result now that we are both going for full hydro steer

The worm is made of chocolate, the sector shaft is huge in comparison to a normal 4 bolt box but the weak point the is the worm & roller, personaly I have punched the roller through the worm on each box so far, end result being the steering locks up & the car goes where it likes, did one box on the 1st lap at kov, then another for the 3rd & previous to that did 2 in normal challenge events, the car I codrive for is doing a box most events with the result now that we are both going for full hydro steer

D2 boxes give you 40% more output torque on the arm. However they need 40% more hydraulic pressure to do it. Therefore if you fit a D2 box to your 90 and use the existing hydraulic pump you will only get the same output torque as your current 4 bolt steering box. Therefore you will need to use the D2 power steering pump as well to get the higher steering box torque.

Can't comment on the internals, but Mike is running high scrub radius's that at speed are IMHO causing shock loading in the steering system when rocks and the like are driven over. Get rid of the silly large scrub radius (lower off set wheels and if necessary wider axles to get the steering lock back to something useful) and the shock loading will reduce. The D2 box may prove more reliable in such a set up.

Adrian