High HC in mot rover V8 3,9

lacrits68

Hello!

My disco -98my 3,9 failed MOT last week. CH were too high 250(limit 100) and CO was on the “edge” 0,5(0,5). O2 was not printer on MOT protocol.

I can feel a slight “Misfire” on idle, but can’t find out why! Idle is 800+/-75rpm and I can hear some “bludring” in end of tailpipe, so some misfire is present.

I have done some basic service:

New parts:

Pluggs champion yc11 something

New pluggleads

New rotor

New distrb cap

New coil

New air and fuel filter

(all ingnition parts are “lucas” branded)

Stepper motor cleaned and working

new vacuum hoses and vacuum cheked with startspray, no leakage.

flametrap cleaned

now "blowing" from heads...(flametrap or oilfiller plugg)

runns very well when driven normaly! uses 12mpg average.Milage id 160tkm or 99000miles.

My knowledge is now used and I could use some help from fellow V8’s gurus! ;) please! I have an Rover Gauge loggfile if its telling something? or is rovergauge giving any additinal information that is usefull?

Cheers

Jan

Looks a bit like worn out cats to me.

Most lambda equipped vehicles with no cats installed will return somewhere around ~200-300HC and ~0.5-0.6 CO

If the cats were working well, your CO would typically be 0, and the HC's would be in double digits.

To get low HC levels you need a very stable idle. I know it is a sneaky trick but if you add some electrical load when they make the test like rear demister screen and some lights you can often get the engine to work a bit harder in the idle range and bring the HC down a little

I think the first thing you should do is a compression test,if you can feel and hear a slight misfire then its just that - a misfire,no matter how good the cats are the emissions will still be over.Rover V8's dont need that much help from the Cats like say a 1.8 K series does. Another useful aid is to use an infa red thermometer on the exhaust ports,any low readings compared to the rest quickly show where the misfire is.

I wonder if the management system is able to effectively adjust for the different stochiometric ratio of a fuel that is predominantly alcohol. I'd go back and get an emissions test done with a tank of ordinary unleaded

A misfire is a misfire - until its burning on all 8 forget whats coming out the back,the missfire will weaken that bank as the oxygen sensor will see an excess of oxygen from the partially or unburnt charge from the misfiring cylinder.This then drives the fuel trims rich - outcome,higher Co and higher HC's from the unburnt fuel....

You need to look at the individual ports and check their temp in exactly the same place,perhaps the top bolt on each port or say 1/2" out form the edge of the head on the manifold.190c is alot less than 250c,so I would expect the problem to be on 190c bank.Have you been able to do a compression test yet ? Checking the HT waveforms with an oscilliscope is the nice way to check the ignition system,but thats a stage further on.

Good morning!

Is anyone familiar how to "read" rover gauge results? Played aroun with it an measured "longterm lambda" fuel trim settings...!

Left siden one that is aprox 250C in temperature is spot on "0" on scale BUT left one with temperature is 190c says "increasing" 2-3 "staples" 16% off "0" point! Same in "short term" only worse the its off 46%.

Can anyone help me wthat this means?

//Jan

Has it been serviced regularly? (Oil-changes in particular).

I'm thinking that at that sort of mileage you could be suffering from the beginning of camshaft-lobe-wear issues.

Do a compression-test too - you could have a burned exhaust valve.

Good morning!

Is anyone familiar how to "read" rover gauge results? Played aroun with it an measured "longterm lambda" fuel trim settings...!

Left siden one that is aprox 250C in temperature is spot on "0" on scale BUT left one with temperature is 190c says "increasing" 2-3 "staples" 16% off "0" point! Same in "short term" only worse the its off 46%.

Can anyone help me wthat this means?

//Jan

Your Avatar does not say where in the world you are,but for a 1998 Discovery with a distributor I'm guessing its EFI system is a Lucas 14CUX. I think this is where part of your problem is,in that your code reader is looking at long term trim values.Your ECU is not adaptive and only runs immediate short term trims,when read with Testbook they show a value of + or - 25%.In reality they shouldnt go more than 10% if all is well..What diagnostic system are you using ?

At 99k miles it is more than likely the cam is well worn,even with good oil and proper service intervals.As Tanuki says a compression test is vitally import,if its down on only one cylinder it will never run properly.

hello!

I guess I have to gop and buy an compression tester then! Is it difficult to do thet test? What is thread of rover pluggs? To choose is M10 x 1,0, M12 x 1,25, M14 x 1,25, M16 x 1,5 och M18 x 1,5 threads!

Yes it's an 14cux EFI machine! And its have got propiate servicing (dokumented by dealer) so it should be in good nick! It runs and starts very well and do not consume any oil between oil changes!

Ill get back with com test results!

//Jan

A compression test is easy to do. I use an old Gunson's compression tester that was my Dad's. It has an M14 thread. Take out all the spark plugs. Then with a fully charged battery crank over the engine for about 10 secs and note the reading down. Do this with the throttle wide open, and I do it with a warm engine. Then post the results up here. Results will be different depending upon whether you have a low compression or high compression engine.