Waxoyl

jameshub

I have just been quoted £900 to have the underneath of my Defender 90 ex-MOD, Waxoyl'd

Am i missing the point, or can i not just get my arse underneath, get a wire brush and go all over the axles etc, then paint this on from a tin, which would cost me about £30?

What am i missing??

Also, apart from axles, what parts should i also be doing?

How good is your chassis? if its not galv might be worth attacking that too!

Waxoyl is great and all but you will probably need to do it every year if your off roading much.

if your willing to take the time and effort painting the chassis with 2pack will seal everything for 5 years.

Did my engine bay and front end last year and not a speck of rust yet.

How good is your chassis? if its not galv might be worth attacking that too!

Waxoyl is great and all but you will probably need to do it every year if your off roading much.

if your willing to take the time and effort painting the chassis with 2pack will seal everything for 5 years.

Did my engine bay and front end last year and not a speck of rust yet.

so basically chassis and axles? - would you do round by the suspension as well or not? - would you do basically everything underneath which doesn't move i.e petrol tank?

what is 2pack?

I used a cheap degreaser gun attached to a compressor, took about an hour once set up to do an 88" chassis, including stuffing a hose pipe on the end with a bolt in it to spread it inside the chassis legs/cavities.

I got a 90 done by Rustmaster in Hatfield for half that price, including a very thorough steam clean, the whole underside being covered by the much, much tougher professional waxoil and all the cavities in the doors, bulkhead and chassis done. £900 seems steep, but forget DIY - you'll never get a thorough job and will be wasting time and money; DIY is only any use for touch-ups.

I got a 90 done by Rustmaster in Hatfield for half that price, including a very thorough steam clean, the whole underside being covered by the much, much tougher professional waxoil and all the cavities in the doors, bulkhead and chassis done. £900 seems steep, but forget DIY - you'll never get a thorough job and will be wasting time and money; DIY is only any use for touch-ups.

do you have the companies details who did it for you?