Air compressor pressure switch

steve200TDi

Hi,

As some of you may know I bought an air compressor of Simon Smith (Thanks Si!) a month or so ago. It switched on fine and to be fair the pressure switch did cut out and kick in at 150psi and 100psi respectively, but after looking at it and on Si recommendation I wanted to replace it. After popping into Machine Mart last week and taking advantage of the no VAT offer I came away with some air tool, an air hose reel and a new pressure switch.

Now the compressor is quite old (circa 1981) and the pressure switch did not fit. After measuring the thread the pressure switches machine mart supply have a 3/8 BSP input thread which screws onto the input pipe on the air reservoir. The output pipe on my air reservoir is 1/2 BSP.

After searching on ebay and google etc I haven't managed to find an air compressor pressure switch with a 1/2 BSP input thread, some of them do, but there 3 phase.

Am I just not finding them and not looking in the right place or are they hard to come by. I could fit a 3/8 BSP male to 1/2 BSP female adapter, but it would be nice to fit one with the right thread.

Any help with places to look or recommendations of companies to speak to would be much appreciated as I want to use the shiny new tools I've bought!

Thanks

Steve

Depends if the pipe adaptor will restrict the flow. depends on all the down stream sizes. In reality it probably wouldn't matter.

You could use a 3ph no problem, have you been to a pneumatics shop, they might be able to offer something?

Its only a small compressor so its probably not going to be turning a 3/4" windy gun anyway but yes it might be a bit of a restriction. Maybe possible to put a plug elsewhere but if the op hasn't got an adapter in his junk box it would only be a quid or so to buy one. Gotta be worth a try... largely what I'm hoping for here watching England / Italy..... ......

Depends if the pipe adaptor will restrict the flow. depends on all the down stream sizes. In reality it probably wouldn't matter.

You could use a 3ph no problem, have you been to a pneumatics shop, they might be able to offer something?

Pressure switches sit at the end of a pipe so to speak, so there is no flow through them and as such a restriction wouldn't matter at all. They are normally mounted on one end of a T piece or a seperate tank connection. Just fit a reducer directly before the switch.

For sure you could use just one of the contacts but 20 quid rather than a pipe adapter?

If Steve has only just bought the switch from Machine Mart then it is simple enough to return it and then order the right one from somewhere else so it's not like it's costing him twenty quid, it may actually save hime some money.

Thanks for the replies.

I think what I'll do is return the Machine Mart one and purchase the three phase unit and wire that in. That way it'll look neater and cheaper!

When I was in Machine Mart and talked about what compressor I had, they were surprised about me having a 150 litre tank with only a 1.5hp motor/compressor on the top!

I maybe back for wiring conformation to check I've done it right!

Thanks

Steve

Yep, that's what it says on there! The member of staff in the shop was surprised too! But it'll be more than enough for what I want to do.

The new pressure switch came last week (I ordered the one mentioned above: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180687874254) and so this weekend I fitted it. I had to remove the nut off the small copper pipe as the new switch had a different size nut, but the rest of it went straight on and it even had wiring diagrams for wiring it in single phase, but as you all said it's just a switch!

It's great for pumping your tyres up, really quick! I'll put a picture up when I've fitted my retractable air hose to the wall and tidied it all up.

Steve