Motor for pillar drill

Hi all,

I've recently obtained a large, old, and above all hugely heavy pillar drill. The thing is ancient, and everything bar the motor is exceptionally free sliding/running etc. Even the motor/belt/main shaft spin freely, despite the enormous birds nest in the head cover...

However, the motor isn't the original, and while it seems of the right power and indeed looks of the right vintage, it has the singular distinction of having a short shaft.

Short of getting a selection of belts and pulleys to give me different speeds, is there anything I can do?

I have the feeling (due to not being able to find one for sale) that a motor with a longer shaft is going to cost more than the dill it's self.

Thanks,

Jake

Generic multi-vee pulleys are available from http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/MULTI-_VEE_PULLEYS.html'>RDG

As it's unlikely that the belt path will remain constant with a generic pulley, you'll either need plenty of adjustment or a couple of different length belts.

How much do you want to spend? What about a new IEC framesize motor and inverter? Too much?

Those RDG ones look pretty perfect, there's adjustment aplenty in all directions. The whole drill cost less than £100 :D, including delivery, so new motors are probably a bit of a stretch, if it can be solved by a £23 pulley bit.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, that's ideal.

Cheers,

Jake

Just so you know, I'd say they're cast and then machine back, they're not amazingly high quality - there are some bubbles visible on mine where it's been bored out.

The casting will pretty much match your short shaft - they're not solid, more of a bell.

There's no keyway, I've been looking in to picking up a broach to add one to mine.

That said, it's running my Bridgeport absolutely fine - I do have the 'unequal ratio' issue - I can't use all combinations without changing the belt - but that's no problem as I use a VSD anyway.

I've ordered one, so I'll see how it shapes up. In all honesty, it's the lower rpms that I need, so it shouldn't need the key way. If it comesto it, I've cut key ways into alloy before with relative success with a hacksaw and Dremel.

However, while popping out to check the girth of the shaft, as it were, I accidentally started cleaning a little of the grime off it, and... well... Now it's in many pieces. Some of them clean. It's so well made that it's a joy to disassemble (and hopefully reassemble!), and with not too much effort is cleaning up really well. It's massively built. The head, without the motor or lid or main rotating assembly, must weigh about 30kgs! It was supposed to be a tool though, not a complete restoration project, so I'll have to restrain myself, and get it back together.

I've got the exact same pillar drill.

As said above you just need a staggered pulley on the motor.

I Only have 1 belt and it works on the whole range with no slipping. I assume the 2 pulleys have to be the same but reversed.

They are very nice drills :)

Gordon