Disco 2 indicators delay on cold mornings!

petrolhead63

this has been baffling me for some time, on cold start up and very noticable in sub zero bitter morning the indicators have a long delay before starting to actually come on and flash.

It can be so long even knowning the road and indicating long before usual they have not actually started flashing until I am on the junction!

Colder the day longer the delay!

Any ideas welcome, I cant even work out where it has flasher units yet.

Hi Petrolhead,

According to Haynes there are 2 relays in the passanger compartment fuse box. R1 for Left & R2 for right side. Are both sides slow? If so then either both are u/s or the fault lies elswhere. Older single flasher units did rely on "warming up" to work but I doubt this applies to modern vehicles. Have you checked the fuse box for water contamination?

Griff

• 3 weeks later...

Both sides slow, though one side worse that other! very much temperature related, no water anywhere I can see. I think I shall just replace them then...not expensive and start from there.

Maybe even the switch/stalk needs a clean on contacts..

Maybe even the switch/stalk needs a clean on contacts..

Really sure this is the problem, as mine are a bit slow of a cold morning for the first few goes.

but they work instantly with the hazard switch

I had the same problem on a d2 v8

if it was very cold it could be 30 to 40 seconds after switching the indicator before they started flashing and changing the flasher relays made no difference

It wouldn't, as on/off signal to the two relays is given by your BCM, that is where the trouble 'may' lie :(

the BCM, whats that? one of the ecu's I assume.

The hart of most of your electrical systems, as your a D2 owner and therefore know more about it and it's functions than i would, so u will call it by it by its correct term BCU (body control unit) which to me is a module or an electrical control unit which the D1s have a few of. :)