Best replacement for Michelin Synchrones?

Dorsetfreelander

Just got my 04 reg TD4 freelander 1 through MOT, only comment was that the rear tyres were very near the limit (true) and that the front ones were getting perished but had a lot of wear left on them. The garage didn't sell tyres so didn't try to spin me a yarn about needing to get them all replaced to pass the MOT. However the guy did say that I ought to replace all of them at the same time as it's good practice on a Freelander (but bad for the wallet). So given that you can't get Michelin Synchrones these days what is the current thinking on tyres? I only do about 8K miles/year and do mostly road use with a bit of rough terrain ocassionally.

What size, as you had Synchrones I suspect they might be 17-inch?

I was in the same predicimant a while ago with my wife's 2006 TD4, two of the original Synchrones were quite low, the other pair were more than 75% worn but the spare was brand-new.

I replaced all five with Hankook Ventus ST RH06 and they have proved to be very good. Pricewise they were reasonable (not cheap but not as expensive is Lattitudes) and by buying five I got a really good deal at BlackCircles. They grip just as well as the Michelins, are not as noisy and as for wear, I don't know if we will get the 50K+ that we did with the Michelins but so far they are not showing any signs of premature wear.

The bonus was that I kept the spare and sold it within a couple of hours of listing for an excellent price, a chap was biding his time and buying up unused or hardly used spares which enabled him to have a full set of Synchrones for half the cost of a new set of Lattitudes).

Hi don't go for latitudes we have lost of people complaining of how noisey they are

I recommend str 's they are very good all round in wet and snow

I've got Latitudes on mine no problem with them what-so-ever. Great tyre highly recommended.

• 4 months later...
Just got my 04 reg TD4 freelander 1 through MOT, only comment was that the rear tyres were very near the limit (true) and that the front ones were getting perished but had a lot of wear left on them. The garage didn't sell tyres so didn't try to spin me a yarn about needing to get them all replaced to pass the MOT. However the guy did say that I ought to replace all of them at the same time as it's good practice on a Freelander (but bad for the wallet). So given that you can't get Michelin Synchrones these days what is the current thinking on tyres? I only do about 8K miles/year and do mostly road use with a bit of rough terrain ocassionally.

well i can tell you michelin replaced them with lattiudes tour,cross. but ive found that goodyear wrangler all weather really good tyre plus the road noise is also lower 68decibels where the miichelins was over 70 i dont know if tyre noise will bother you..... :blush: