Tip for removing steering wheel

In my quest to solve an electrical issue I wanted to remove my steering wheel, so googled it. Most people were talking of a removal tool?

This is what I did, found a 3 inch hinge and two bolts that fitted into the holes on the wheel. Loosen the central nut, leaving it on. Screwed both bolts through the closed hinge into the threaded holes on the steering wheel and tightened them up, pop went the steering wheel, simple and free of charge.

Hope this my help someone else.

Although there is a proper removal tool, most people are referring to a simple home-made tool which in actual fact is nothing more than a flat plate with a couple of holes drilled in it to line up with the holes in the wheel. When the bolts are tightened and the plate presses down on the top of the column it releases the wheel from the splines. If you want to go really posh you can drill a centre hole to line up with the column, fit a nut & bolt and wind this in to pull it off.

You have worked it out for yourself and indeed built your own tool!

Although there is a proper removal tool, most people are referring to a simple home-made tool which in actual fact is nothing more than a flat plate with a couple of holes drilled in it to line up with the holes in the wheel. When the bolts are tightened and the plate presses down on the top of the column it releases the wheel from the splines. If you want to go really posh you can drill a centre hole to line up with the column, fit a nut & bolt and wind this in to pull it off.

You have worked it out for yourself and indeed built your own tool!

You are, however, buggered if some rock ape has stripped the threads in the steering wheel, go on then, ask me how I know.....

I've got to try and remove mine again...

I used a 6mm steel plate with 3 holes drilled through it. But my steering wheel seems pretty seized in, and I sheared one of the bolts into the steering wheel. So now I've got to drill that out first!