3.9 Cylinder head fit a 3.5

paul mc

I stripped the threads in my cylinder head the other day so I need to get another one. There is a pair from a 3.9 V8 on ebay at the moment, will these fit on my flapper type 3.5 V8? I only ask because they are a good price and there isn't many on ebay.

If it will fit are there any advantages or disadvantages to it? Should I use the standard tin or composite head gasket?

Thanks and Happy Easter,

Paul

You can swap any rover v8 heads about. The only thing to be careful of is that the later ones which have ten bolt holes are designed for composite gaskets, whilst the earlier 14 bolt hole ones will need tin gaskets to retain your current compression ratio.

Thanks for the quick replies. What actually happened was the bolt sheared in the clinder head and trying to remove the broken stud from the head has not worked out very well, so I would rather a replacement head than make do with a damaged face against the valley gasket

Later heads don't have holes for the outer row of head bolts. Done away with as there is a tendency for them to tip the head slightly. If your replacement heads do have this outer row the usual practice is to fit the bolts to fill the holes but just nip them up.

Composite gaskets can be used on earlier engines, but as already said they are thicker so there will be a slight reduction in CR. Can't remember hiow much difference it actually makes.

Composite gaskets can be used on earlier engines, but as already said they are thicker so there will be a slight reduction in CR. Can't remember hiow much difference it actually makes.

From memory a few years ago - not enough to notice during day-to-day driving. Also if you have a 9.35 CR engine the lower comp. makes it less likely to 'ping' on standard unleaded.