anti roll bar and steering

Confused

Hi all,

I took the disco in for wheel alignment the other day as its been pulling left a while and I thought it'd be best to sort it out so I dont ruin my tyres. Anyway, it came back from the garage doing the same thing, I thought the mechanic hadn't done his job properly but having a poke about underneath I notice the ARB mount on the right is bent forward, would this make the car steer left? My idea is that if its pushing the right side of the axle forward it would make the car steer left, or am I being thick?

Oh and how do I fix this? My thought is a big hammer but just a bit worried the mount might snap off, I suppose I could always take the ARB off completely. Any opinions will be gratefully received.

Front anti-roll bar? Mine got flattened against the chassis a while back, I just popped a bottle-jack between it and something solid on the chassis, heated the bracket with a blow torch to try and get some flex, and pushed it back into position.

yep, front anti roll bar, I like both these ideas, thanks. I'll have to fix the sodding stuck caliper I discovered whilst changing the pads today before I think about sorting this though. Cheers for the ideas!

I'd love for it to be that simple. it pulls left and the stuck caliper is on the right so I don't think its that. Rear might be stuck too though, haven't looked at them for a while, probably ought to check the pads.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is interested, I changed both front calipers for new units and its still pulling under braking. I'm presuming rear brakes wouldnt do this, would they? I take it I need to look at bushes next, can anyone tell me which ones?

• 4 weeks later...

A seized piston in any calliper will produce a pull in the opposite direction under braking because the seized piston cannot apply pressure to the pad. That applies to rear brakes too, though it will be less pronounced than front brakes.

Bent mountings for e the anti-roll bar could also be an issue as it will be causing the axle to articulate under normal conditions, and as the axle sits low at one side, it will affect axle alignment and also affect weight distribution on each of the wheels.

A seized piston in any calliper will produce a pull in the opposite direction under braking because the seized piston cannot apply pressure to the pad. That applies to rear brakes too, though it will be less pronounced than front brakes.

Hmmmmmmmm - my experience tells me otherwise - every seized piston I have ever worked on would still apply just as much pressure as the other pistons (if on a multi-piston caliper) but the main problem is that due to the stiction (usually due to corrosion) they do not retract correctly, which has the effect of holding the pads on to the disc and wearing them and the discs out rapidly.

In a partially seized piston, you'd be right, but a full seizure means the piston is stuck fast. The pad (and disc) will wear quite quickly to a point where they aren't causing much friction, but the pad can't be pressed in further for braking. I've had both.

• 3 months later...