Synthetic winch rope without breaking the bank.

Hi all.

I figured this is the best place to ask about synthetic rope. In my case it's not for comp use though, it's to go onto an hydraulic ramsey rhp8 (8000lb pull, surprisingly) on the back of our big Daf 4x4. It'll mostly be used for recovering stuck vans and the like, or doubled up to recover the 7.5 tonners.

The winch is being mounted under the hiab, so it'll be well protected from the elements/road muck/mud/UV. This also means I can sling it up through a pulley on the hiab, and use the thing as a proper crane/ropeslide/washingline, which is one of the main reasons for wanting synthetic. Also, I can fit a fair bit more on the drum, I reckon about 200ft, as opposed to 170ft of 10mm steel wire.

What size should I be looking at (I'm thinking 10mm should be more than fine), and where sells good rope at a reasonable price? I've searched the forum, but all the pertinent responses seem to be 4 or 5 years old.

Winch-it on Ebay seems cheap, and has been recommended in the past, but is there anywhere else I should be looking?

Thanks,

Jake.

As an aside, does anyone know of an aftermarket air freespool for the ramsey? A long shot, methinks, but worth an ask.

>and where sells good rope at a reasonable price?

Goodwinch sells GOOD rope at a reasonable price.

You can get cheaper rope, but it's not as good value based on strength & life expectancy. (Bad rope at reasonable price) and from others, Good rope at an unreasonable price.

Si