Series 2a 1965 stub shaft problems

smokinv8

Following a bad oil leak from the o/s/r hub on my 2a (present when I purchased it).

I have stripped both rear hubs and replaced bearings/seals/ brake shoes etc on the n/s and then found on the o/s the stub shaft had been badly eaten away by the wheel bearings. This was down to the fact mostly that the previous owner had bent the lock nut tab forward onto just the front hub nut, consequently not actually locking anything! And to top it all......... he must then of found that the hub had started to creep inwards as the shaft wore and the wheel must of touched the springs, so he put washers on the wheel studs to space the wheel!!!!

Anyway, to cut a long story short I purchased off eBay a second hand shaft described as Series 2/2a/3 with unequal bearings pre 1980. On the shaft side both the OE shaft and the "new" one are the same bar the damage as above. But where the shaft attaches to the axle they are vastly different.

Hopefully i will have attached some pics with this to show the difference. The stub on the right is the OE one and I need another now to get the vehicle back on road. Any ideas on either a part number or better description for me to find another?

post-17044-0-13945400-1367693558_thumb.jpg

post-17044-0-79792600-1367693591_thumb.jpg

Looking at S2 / 2A parts manuals shows only one part number 273886.

The S2A Workshop Manual has a cross sectional view of the stub axle / hub assembly, showing the style on the right of your photo, with no lip to fit inside the axle tube, just an outer lip to fit outside the axle tube.

A S3 Workshop manual has cross sectional views of the stub axle / hub assembly (Half shaft, Remove & Refit).

The one on the left in your photo is for an 88", the one on the right is for a 109". (It will be the load capability that makes the difference, not the actual wheelbase).

Cross checking the S3 Parts Manuals show various 'Rear Hub Bearing Sleeves' specified, but doesn't show the physical differences, so I can't give you a part number.

If the one on the right is the style you need then 273886 is your '2A' part number.

LRSeries gives 599828 as the superseding part number.

HTH

The right hand stub axle is for a Salisbury axle, the other for a Rover axle. You need a Rover front axle stub. Try asking your nearest supplier for a quote on a Bearmach new part - they shouldn't be too dear and at least it won't have any wear or pitting on the seal or bearing surfaces.

Well its definitely the one on the right I need as the one on the left with the inner lip will not fit into the axle tube on mine.

I have also realised (doh) that the bearing hasn't worn the shaft away, but that the previous owner had assembled it without the distance piece. Should there be one or two per shaft?

The shaft still needs replacing though as there is wear on the back and also the thread has been damaged where it came into contact with the drive member.

The left hand stub in your pics is a front axle one, the right hand one is a rear axle one.

You've bought the wrong part old chap.

Jon

I have just re-read the eBay ad I got it from and it does read "front/rear stub shaft". Ah well if it is a front one then at least its not a total waste.

Have ordered what I'm sure is the right part (599827) from Land rover parts shop.com for an Allmakes branded one @ £16.07 + delivery and vat.

I shall just carry on with the front axle and transmission brake etc whilst I wait for it to turn up.

Thanks for the help chaps.

I have just re-read the eBay ad I got it from and it does read "front/rear stub shaft". Ah well if it is a front one then at least its not a total waste.

Have ordered what I'm sure is the right part (599827) from Land rover parts shop.com for an Allmakes branded one @ £16.07 + delivery and vat.

Thanks for the help chaps.

Was the wrong one again...Aaaaarrrrgh!

Am going to try and clean up the threads on the original stub now and put a distance piece back on.