Dashcam DVR

Hi all,

I have just talked about DVR, dashcam, blackbox or whatever name you want to give to this devices, in the "Tell RAC where you are" thread.

There are tons of youtube videos from Russia. Aparently insurance companies are favouring the installation of such devices.

I heard that in UK some insurers will give a special price for those having one.

What about other countries?

In Spain...you know...Spain is different! Dash cams are ILLEGAL. Personal Data Protection law says that people´s image, and even number plates, are "Personal Data" that needs to be protected. If you film someone with dashcam you can end at Courts.

Fine ranges from 500 to 2000 Eur.

In Spain all (authorised) security camera systems must show a signal telling that images are beeing recordered and where are they physically stored, in case you whant to use your rights about your image and other personal data.

zona-videovigilancia.jpg

Thanks for the tip re driving in Spain, I suspect that will start to affect more and more tourists as these things have suddenly reached the public conciousness following the meteor showers and the viral videos of ‘good samaritan’ acts.

To be clear – in the UK there are requirements too, to display a sign that CCTV recording is happening IAW the Data Protection Act and who to contact. But I believe recording video footage in a public place (such as the public highway) does not come under that.

IANAL though so am happy to be corrected!

Wow... I had a camera in the windscreen all of the trip to Spain last year.... It wasn't running most of the time but it was very visible....

(Good news we had Chris volunteering to be pulled over instead of me or Mo.....)

Not taking the camera there again then.....

Some people belive that, since they are ciclic recording devices, there is not a file storage place because it´s beeing continiously overwritten. If you use images for private use and don´t publish them, Personal Data Protection law will not be applicable and there will be no problen.

Law says that citizens have the right to use all the methods and media available for having a proof of their innocence. In fact, some judges have used dashcam videos with no problem.

It´s a strange law. Just imagine: someone comes to Lugo and wants to take a picture of our 2000 years old roman wall. If I´m standing in front of it you will need my permission for taking the picture!

In real life, you will not have problems unless someone complaints to police against you. I have never seen police patrols looking for dashcams. Just try to hyde it (that will also help with long fingered people).

I really like the flat design of some models. With a simple pair of spacers, they could be tucked in the gap between roof liner and the folded sun visor (less than one inch thick)

RV1000S-07.jpg

As Neil suggests, I often seem to come to the attention of Guarda Civil or traffic police in Spain so I do not think I will take any chances. French Douanes seem to like me too so I have to be careful with my speed camera GPS... My dash cam is about the same size as the one you picture.

O-teunica, perhaps you could answer a question I have been wondering about: On my last trip to Spain (we were staying in France and popped over the border for a couple of days en route to Andorra), I and my group got stopped by the police for not having my headlamps on - I was riding a quad bike. The problem appeared to be (I cannot speak Spanish and the policeman could not speak English!) that I did not have my headlamps on during the daytime and that headlamps are required on a motorbike at all times. So, is a quad bike classed the same as a motorbike in Spain, and does one need a motorbike license to ride one? I do have a bike license and was properly insured etc., but some others in my group...

Cheers

Chris

As a point of interest, I was talking to a chap who drives for DHL last week. All new additions to their fleet now have cyclical dashcams fitted. BUT, they have had to turn the resolution down low so that faces are not discernable. You can still see the mechanics of any incident, but you're not infringing on anyones human rights/civil liberty/guilt by filming them.

Load of pc twaddle if you ask me, but the EU parliament rarely does. Their loss.

Yes, it´s compulsory to ride with headlamps on in the case of motorbikes.

Quads in Spain can be licensed as "VE" (Vehiculo Especial). Basically it will be considered a small farm tractor. "B" type license requiered and 45km/h max speed. Banned at highways. Headlamps compulsory like in motorbikes.

"Standard" plates gives a quad the "motorbike" status.

Up to 50cc is considered a moped.

Up to 125cc, less than 11KW power and a maximum 0.11 KW/Kg power to weight ratio. You will need either a "A1" or "B" type license.

Bigger than 125cc. Need a motorbike "A" type license.

In Spain you will find that some regions will have their own police: ERTZAINTZA in the Basque Country (in basque meaning "the ones that protect the people"), FORUZAINGOA / POLICIA FORAL in Navarra and MOSSOS D´ESCUADRA in Catalonia. In the rest of Spain the GUARDIA CIVIL will be dealing with road traffic. Bigger villages will have a metro police for traffic affairs.

Private individuals do not have to comply with the information comissioners guidelines on cctv data protection as long as they only use the cctv equipment for crime prevention.

Thank you for that info Nick, IIRC you are a CCTV systems installer aren't you?