Thoughts and Advice on Buying "A Bigger" Lathe

Following on from my other thread on running 3 Phase on Single phase re a lathe I have been looking looking looking and looking

I have done a mightly amount of research on invertors vs convertors, delta vs 3 Phase diffewrences, and looked at some possible lathes

I have looked a 3 x colchester students, a M300 short bed and a colchester Bantam, all 3 phase, very very worn from years of use / abuse and not exactly cheap

I was chatting to a friend who said, can't you buy new ? :blink:

I am not suggesting for one minute the machine mart china stuff :lol: but something maybe better qulaity, that does

have 1,000,000+ hours use on the clock that is all tight n shiney

AND

I can buy fairly big machines (bigger than my trusty Boxford) in single phase which will save circa £300-£500 dependant on inbvertor / convertor route id I buy a s/h 3 Phase

My question is really are they worth buying ?

2 thoughts..

Warco unit : http://www.warco.co.uk/metal-lathes-metalworking-lathe-machine/26-gh1322-gh1330-wm330-lathe.html

a GH1322 model

Also been looking at this from Bailey (who are regarded as top notch stuff on tube benders - what are their lathes like ?)

the PL-1236E maybe with the DRO Option :D : http://www.baileighindustrial.co.uk/metal-lathe-pl-1236e

not sure about : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-AMAP290V-FF-Lathe-Milling-Machine-Combination-from-Amadeal-/360482941343?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item53ee75299f thoughts ?

So, for those who know

Second hand Colchester Student / Bantam ? M300 with wear but hunt for one that is better than most and pay possibly MORE than the anove units

and then for a convertor / invertor on top if 3 phase, or is it not complete madness to but new maybe the aboves or something else

Thoughts please !

Nige

Just keep hunting Nige, I paid £400 for my harrison 12 it has very little wear in it at all.

The 38mm choke is annoying On it though, something close to 50mm would be nice.

3 phase is also nice, you can vary the speed, have soft start as well as reverse.

G

Noooo!

We have that exact Warco here at work and it's so bad I can't begin..

We struggle finding tools, the tool post moves even when tight and the motor is at best lacklustre... It's so bad that If I was offered it, I wouldn't take it.

If you can find a good old machine I think you'd be better off...

Cheers,

Mike