Door Skins - Sealant or No Sealant?

Spearos

I will be fitting some new alloy door skins to some refurbished frames soon and it seems there's two lines of thought - to 'bond'/seal the skin to the frame with Tigarseal or similar, or, to not use anything with bonding properties, just something to isolate the two metals.

I like the idea of using a PU sealant but I cant help but think that *IF* the skins need to come off in the future it will be a right sod!

How did the doors leave the factory?

Is there anything I could use that will bond/seal/isolate the two metals but won't be a pig if seperation is needed at a later date? I was thinking some kind of instant gasket type stuff perhaps? I've also seen this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12mm-Wide-Heavy-Duty-Double-Sided-Strong-Adhesive-Tape-/360315223992?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item53e475ffb8

Part of me says just whack some PU sealant on there and be done with it but first I'd like to hear what people have to say on this matter...

Cheers

I would use sealant rather than tape.

I have some 3M tape. It's super sticky BUT it is thick.

I've been using Sudal CarBond on my trailer, I've had to take a couple of clamps off and it's been great to take off.

Ducktape then seal the inside and outside edge with pu. This keeps the ali from the steel and helps with keeping the water out.

Interesting idea - do you mean ducktape on the skin as seriebil.dk says, and then PU between the tape and the door frame?

What not have the frames rubber dipped the bond the skins on (had all BRAND new Gen Land rover doors 7 years ago as soon as back from the paint shop wax oiled the hell out the inside of the doors and guess what on my back door all ready ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR So yes another new door is on the way)

• 4 weeks later...