Range Rovr Diffs on a series 3

FATBAZIL

I owned a series three some time ago which had rangie diffs fitted. I have another truck now and want the same performance. I have located a pair of ten spline diffs from a 1990 rangie. Are these suitable? Thanks in anticipation. Cheers Mike

Remember your speedo will need recallibration (I used JDO1.com).

An overdrive seems a more flexible solution, but typically dearer (until you get the speedo done for the diffs, anyway). RUnning 3.54s and an overdrive is not good, though - I just broke my gearbox doing that with a Tdi.

Remember your speedo will need recallibration (I used JDO1.com).

An overdrive seems a more flexible solution, but typically dearer (until you get the speedo done for the diffs, anyway). RUnning 3.54s and an overdrive is not good, though - I just broke my gearbox doing that with a Tdi.

I run an overdrive and 3.54's with a 3.5 v8, much more comfortable on the motorway :)

G

I run an overdrive and 3.54's with a 3.5 v8, much more comfortable on the motorway :)

G

Yep, it was, and it took the mpg up from 27 to 30, but it drove horribly around town on the 3.54s - acceleration was way down, like standard gears and a 2.25 diesel. The box managed several years and about 30,000 miles behind a Tdi with no trouble, but six months after fitting the 3.54s, stripped some teeth off third gear. As long as you make sure never to use the OD in any gear other than 4th, it might be alright, but I'd be wary. I think a lot has to do with vehicle weight, though, and mine is relatively heavy.

And don't forget you 'may' possibly lose the ability to fill your axle with oil if you use the complete diff as there won't be a filler hole on the 1990 diff. Easily rectified though ( before its fitted) . You may have the filler on the axle if its a later series already though,

Steve