Suggestions for removing seized PS lines from Box.

ajh

I'm looking for ideas on how to best free up the ends of the PS lines where they go into the steering box so they'll turn freely on the pipes. I've put on some oil and I'm waiting; but any other ideas?

It's almost as if having a non-leaking system leads to more problems like this; if it was leaking then the fittings would be nice and lubricated already. Odd how many places I'm running into this. :)

Pre-oiling would be phosphoric acid to munch the dry rust.

Now they are oiled I can honestly say the only thing I know to is an oxy-acetaline welding torch. It has a really hot localised flame to loosen the pipe in the nut.

I've been there many times on many machines and I wish I had a 'great and simple fix' for you. But keeping calm always seems to help :)

"Plus Gas" releasing-fluid is your first call.

Then make sure you have a 'flare wrench' to use on the fittings - this provides a drive on five of the six hexagon-flats and reduces the risk of rounding off the fitting.

Next: heat from a Gas-Axe.

If that doesn't work - go for broke: sacrificially cut the metal pipes and use any-socket-that-fits on the union hex. Reassemble with a set of new pipes. They're cheap compared with the time-cost of hours spent trying to non-destructively-separate the old ones.

--Tanuki

" sacrificially cut the metal pipes and use any-socket-that-fits on the union hex."

That would be my final solution, but remember to cut with side cutters not a hacksaw, as the little bits go into the steering box.

And if the nut is seized, use a socket that nearly fits, and hammer it on :)

(The action of hammering helps loosen the threads. Try it on bleed nipples, it really works!)

Oil is never leaked on to where it is actually required (as BP will tell you). Sometimes a slight tighten can help- any movement allows you to start a 'wriggle' to and from. Crows feet wrenches are good on those darned pipes. Try just tapping the nuts a few times with a punch and small hammer - not so hard as to damage the nuts but the shocks can break the rust bonds.

BTW If you hit that Freeze and Release stuff between 2 bits of steel you can get it to explode (its only like a cap going off)