Bugs after rebuild

Simon_CSK

Now the chassis is fitted a number of small snags have appeared.

I cannot get the break pedal to firm up. Ideas please.

The heater matrix has started to leak and temporarily I have looped it out. How difficult/big a job is it to sort this?

You'll find heaps of threads on here of ways to deal with/look at brake issues.

Heater matrix could be an interesting one, as i imagine most of the dash will have to come out, not tricky, just time consuming.

Mav

Are you sure it's actually a fault? My experience of older Discoverys is that they all have softish brake pedals and if you get out of a modern car or haven't driven them for a while then most feel pretty awful. 2003/2004 vehicles are better, but still a long way way off most cars.

I was over there a couple of weeks ago and hired a car, nothing fancy only an Astra but if I hadn't had a seatbelt on I would have put myself through the windscreen leaving the hire car compound, and then when I got home I found none of my vehicles seemed to have any brakes! Within 24hrs I've got used to them again, and of course there is nothing wrong with them.

I'm not up to speed with what work you had done but on a Td5 Discovery if the brake system has been substantially dismantled then it needs the ABS system bleeding through with a diagnostic computer to get all the air out of the system, if you don't do this there will be air in the modulator, so that is one possibility if you're sure there is a problem. I think they also suffer from a bit of play in the wheel bearings allowing the pistons to push back into the calipers slightly and taking the edge off the brakes, mine is like this, not to the extent of the play in the bearings being a concern, but if you brake gently and then take your foot off the brake and brake again, it's noticeably sharper. Hammer the pedal to the floor and you can lock the wheels without any trouble, it's just the feel of the pedal at the top of the travel that doesn't inspire confidence.

Are you sure it's actually a fault? My experience of older Discoverys is that they all have softish brake pedals and if you get out of a modern car or haven't driven them for a while then most feel pretty awful. 2003/2004 vehicles are better, but still a long way way off most cars.

I was over there a couple of weeks ago and hired a car, nothing fancy only an Astra but if I hadn't had a seatbelt on I would have put myself through the windscreen leaving the hire car compound, and then when I got home I found none of my vehicles seemed to have any brakes! Within 24hrs I've got used to them again, and of course there is nothing wrong with them.

I'm not up to speed with what work you had done but on a Td5 Discovery if the brake system has been substantially dismantled then it needs the ABS system bleeding through with a diagnostic computer to get all the air out of the system, if you don't do this there will be air in the modulator, so that is one possibility if you're sure there is a problem.

just an fyi - D1's can have perfectly firm brakes, its often a sign of bipassing master cylinder, I've changed 2 now on D1 aquisitions of mine, it seems to be a thing that goes...

But in that case - if you mean what I think you mean - an internal leak in the cylinder - then the pedal should keep going down.

I've never driven a D1 with what I would call perfectly firm brakes, and in 15 years as a dealer I sold and drove quite a few brand new ones :) it's very subjective though - what's a firm pedal and what's a cowpat...

Mine is a Disco TD5 and the brakes are definately soft. My car was out of action for one month while the body was changed. The brakes were always good.

I drove the car to Burford (Oxford) from Paisley (Glasgow) on Wednesday and collected my new Range Rover. Car, despite the brakes and heater, performed fantastically and towed the trailer brilliantly without any problems at all.

I had a great day out and the Range Rover I have bought is a cracker and found little to fault other than that I already knew of.