Misfire Problem Mid Wales HELP!

Mr Noisy

Hello! Currently somewhere in mid Wales not far from Hereford, developed a misfire on one or two cylinders. Car was left overnight after off roading yesterday, fired up ok ran for 10 minutes then pulled over for 5 mins and restarted with a miss.

We have some spark but not sure how much, removed and wd40 in the injector plugs, many of which were wet and rusted (some of the injector pins are rusty, could do with new injectors) but still can't find a reason for a miss.

I have a very long drive home to Manchester and am somewhere west of Hereford area.

I am concerned about driving with the misfire!

Any help or ideas appreciated hugely!

Phone signal is average so please text 07818044463 if you can help!

Thanks Sam :o

Rusty injector pins are one of the new perils of having MS, vaseline is what you need.

I drove from Portsmouth to Billing with an injector or two misbehaving like that, with a mild detour via St Petersburg, it didn't seem to do any harm and still more than kept up with the TDi's :ph34r:

Hi fridge

Well it's home and washed now so I can look at it properly in the week.

Lots of rusty pins I guess but definitely one dead injector.

I will check the resistance of all of them.

Glad to hear your engine survived the misfires.

I will check them all and Vaseline them up, same with my MAT and CTS.

Question, regards injectors, I notice allmakes supply them for around 30 quid new but perhaps I'd be better picking up a used rail full for presumably similar money then I have future spares?

Cheers, Sam

Rusty injector pins are one of the new perils of having MS, vaseline is what you need.

I drove from Portsmouth to Billing with an injector or two misbehaving like that, with a mild detour via St Petersburg, it didn't seem to do any harm and still more than kept up with the TDi's :ph34r:

I was gonna ask about those plugs. Is it a case of filling the injector socket with Vaseline? Or just a bit on there?

Stuff 'em full of vaseline.

Unfortunately because the wires drop into them from the top water will naturally run down the wire into the plug, and electricity accelerates corrosion massively. Glue-lined heat-shrink instead of the standard rubber boot is also a help. A dab of silicone where the wire enters might not hurt as another option.

Sam - I've always bought 2nd hand genuine on rails. You can check them easy enough by pouring something (petrol, diesel, WD40...) down the fuel rail & pressurise to 40psi with an air compressor, then squirt by touching the injector pins with 12v. If you're storing spares, soak them in WD40 or similar and keep them in a sealed container or baggy.

Stuck injectors can be freed with a light tap with a hammer on the body

Additionally shiove 2 x tins of FORTE injector cleaner into a tank with just 2 gallons it and it works wonders too

Just don't waste (as I did) money on having them cleaned, better to get new ones, on that I think some of the

pattern injectors are not worth fitting and a good used genuines are often better esp + forte trick

Nige

Land Rover use an injector-cleaner that apparently comes in a cannister and is fitted in place of the fuel filter. They used it on my car once and the improvement was astonishing! Does anyone know what the part number is for the cleaner?

Cheers Charlie