300tdi Swivel Housing & CV Joint

AdeParko

Yesterday, I went to work on rebuilding the swivel housing, and changing the CV joint on the front of my 300tdi, but cam across 2 problems :(

PROBLEM 1

The 2 countersunk torx screws which go through the damper plate and bootom swivel pin

http://s91.photobucket.com/user/R33Ade/media/swivelhousing.jpeg.html'>swivelhousing.jpeg

These seem to be fairly rusted and stuck. Does anyone know what size torx head they have? as I was stuggling to get any to fit.

If I cant get them out, whats the next step? Is it possible to drill the head of the countersunb it allowing the removal of the damper and pin, giving good access to the bolt. Then maybe use the double nut method to remove the remainder of the bolt (are the bolts M8 thread?)

Once removed, it it best to get some identical bolts to replace, or does anyone recommend to just use normal hex head bolts?

PROBLEM 2

I have a non abs 1996 Discovery 1, and when looking on the copy of microcat I have, it list the part number needed as FTC3146, but upon searching the web it looks to have changed

In the rimmerbros website, it says the part number is now TDB500280, as per the link below:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID009961

When it arrived, it looks like the photo below, which I would gues at being for an ABS model due to the teeth around the larger section, whereas my existing one is completley smooth

TDB500280.jpeg

I this OK to use on my non ABS version? Or do I need to send back to get it exchanged?

Any help on my 2 problems would be greatly appreciated

MAny thanks

Ade

• 1 month later...

I could be wrong, but you don't need to take those torx bolts out to disassemble the swivel, once you have the pin out the top, the swivel drops a bit, and you lean the top out, and pull the assembly out.

The bearing on the other side of the pin should lift off. Check the pin condition (normally fine), and if you then need to replace, you will have to remove the bottom bolts.

I could be wrong, but you don't need to take those torx bolts out to disassemble the swivel, once you have the pin out the top, the swivel drops a bit, and you lean the top out, and pull the assembly out.

The bearing on the other side of the pin should lift off. Check the pin condition (normally fine), and if you then need to replace, you will have to remove the bottom bolts.

Was PROBLEM 2 I was struggling with...

Just drilled mine out last week - they're soft as cheese so it doesn't matter if you get the correct torx socket for it they just ring out lol..... It's a T40 from memory if you want to try it.

AFAIK the only difference with the ABS and non version is the serated edge pick up so don't see why it shouldn't work - mine has abs unfortunately...

Steve

Dont worry about the ABS teeth, my guess is LR deleted the non ABS unit to reduce stocks, the ABS version fits perfectly in the non ABS hub and I have two of them in my Disco. As for the two bolts, drill them out and fit a couple of helicoils and use stainless Allen socket bolts - looking at your pics could I advise the purchase of a pressure cleaner and get into the habit of cleaning your Disco after every off road adventure ??? Mine has done well over 300,000 kilometers and the underside still looks like new.