defender 130 td5 conversion

what exactly are you doing ?

sounds like your fitting a 130 chassis using a 90 as a donor vehicle,

what do you intend to do with the existing 90's chassis & registration numbers, it cannot AFAIK be transferred to a totally different chassis, only like for like = 90 to 90

If its a new galvanised chassis then just order it with TD5 mounts. I stupidly ordered my chassis from marslands without mounts, but they happily sent me some out, so i'd imagine they'd supply you some if you asked.

Western: the points system should allow the donor to be different, but you need to use almost all of the major parts from the donor, and the chassis must be new. Same system is used for kit-cars when they are built from single donor onto the kit-car chassis, they typically retain the donor cars registration number etc. Reusing an old chassis from another landrover will get you a Q plate, as will not using enough parts from the donor.

The problem is i dont think you'll be able to use enough parts from the donor to retain the plate/ID, unless your donor was a TD5 110.

The points are listed here:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/radically-altered-vehicles

Your not going to get the engine or transmission points unless the 90 was a TD5 (and i assume its not or you would just cut the mounts off it?)

Your not going to get the chassis 5pts, because the chassis isnt original.

Your not going to get the Axle points, as the rear 90 axle isnt suitable for a 110/130.

I might have read your original post wrong, you'll need to weld the brackets on before you get it galvanised.

Just out of curiosity, would a Q plate be a big deal on a 130, it wouldn't put me off...

Cheers,

Mike

God, it didn't take long for the SVA/IVA police to get on the OPs case. :rtfm:

From the way I read it he has a 130, probably an ex military V8, which he wants to convert to a TD5 using the engine and loom out of his 90. Before he gets the chassis glavanised he wants to know if there was anywhere he could buy the engine mounts from.

Anyway, Dan, you could simply cut the engine mounts off the 90 if you are not going to be using it afterwards. An alternative would be to get one of the chassis companies to send you some. Plenty of TD5 discos are having chassis swaps due to rust. Someone might have one you can cut the mounts off.....

Worst case. Fabricate your own. I would think that if you are competent enough to rechassis and change the engine in 130 than knocking up some engine mounts would be simple enough.