discovery 2. broken bonnet release cable!

dirtyninety

Ughh, my hood(bonnet) release cable is broken at the end and I have to use a wrench to grasp it and open the bonnet right now. This is one overlooked part that should probably be upgraded/maintenance. Not goo when the problem presents itself on the trail. I am going to put a crimped loop on the end w/ shrinkwrap or the like, when I replace it (soon).

Is it possible to get underneath up front and somehow loop the mechanism and pull it down from there? That might be the only option.... Interested to hear how you solve the problem. I'd look now but I am in J'lem and my Disco is in Utah.

Best,

Unfortunately the bonnet release is behind the grill, and then surrounded in an anti-tamper guard to stop people opening your bonnet!

I have found the cable isnt snapped, but you cant pull it hard enough to pop the bonnet. I think the actual mechanism is siezed up. Not looking forward to this job. May be a case of cutting the grill out, and butchering the mechanism from underneath. carp.

Unfortunately the bonnet release is behind the grill, and then surrounded in an anti-tamper guard to stop people opening your bonnet! I have found the cable isnt snapped, but you cant pull it hard enough to pop the bonnet. I think the actual mechanism is siezed up. Not looking forward to this job. May be a case of cutting the grill out, and butchering the mechanism from underneath. carp.

You have had an extra pair of hands pressing down on the bonnet while u pull hard the release, haven't u? :)

• Like 1

Yeah tried everything, I have now got it open tho! Yay

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=69786

The pdf at the bottom of this thread is very informative.

You can poke two screw drivers through grill, poke them through the plastic cover and wiggle and prod unroll you hit the sweet spot.

To be honest I sat for half an hour trying and gave up, my annoying mate spent two minutes and popped it open!

The mechanism is free, but the spring is incredably strong, combined with a old cable (x reg) means you cannot open it.

Going to order a new cable, and wd40/copper slip the mechanism so its as free as can be.

So that's definitive proof, you CAN open a td5 disco bonnet from the outside, without cutting the grill.

When mine jammed I pulled so hard I broke the T handle, but it opened as soon as the extra hands were placed on the bonnet.

I only use the inner when replacing as there is a bit more work replacing the whole cable, so a well greased inner and a splash of engine oil on the lock and I haven't had this problem again, 9 years now.