Brake refurb time :D

Scooby Jim

Wow - I'm surprised at a V8 having single circuit brakes.

My parts catalogue thing-a-ma-bob has listed 2 masters for the V8/2.6

MasterCylinder11INCH.jpg

Servo.jpg

Any dual circuit 109 mc will do. The stock 109 cylinder is a common with an adapter is a common replacement in 101s using the same 6 cyl big brakes.

My Landy is single line also, so don't really want to replumb.

Well bit more progress, I know that the drivers shaft is ok. I did trial fit the 11 inch backing plate and 88 stub axle and its straight on, no worries :D

WP_20130724_004.jpg

WP_20130724_006.jpg

WP_20130724_005.jpg

WP_20130724_008.jpg

I did it years ago on my 88" series 2 and there were no fit problems at all, i changed the original 10" brakes for 11" x 2.5" and later changed them again to 11" x 3".

Removed the other side, now I can say 100% that there is another diff gone lol. The rear was blown, and the front is too, as I can feel bits of planetary gears inside :(.
Lucky I bought 2 Disco diffs :D, and I now have a spare set of front 10 spline shafts, and a set of front 10x24 spline shafts too.

WP_20130724_009.jpg

WP_20130724_010.jpg

WP_20130724_011.jpg

WP_20130724_013.jpg

WP_20130724_015.jpg

WP_20130724_017.jpg

Blood puss and everything :(

WP_20130724_021.jpg

WP_20130724_022.jpg

I did it years ago on my 88" series 2 and there were no fit problems at all, i changed the original 10" brakes for 11" x 2.5" and later changed them again to 11" x 3".

How did you find the brakes?? Have been a told a few horror stories, but all by people who havent done it they just think it will be bad.

They worked just fine without the fade that 10" brakes have when working hard.

Cheers buddy no horror stories then??

I'll be collecting all the new cylinders next week, so master cylinder (brake and clutch), shoes, brake cylinders, my springs look ok, and adjusters work, new rear drums (fronts I can't get from my local Bearmach), and take it from there.

• 6 months later...

Right Slight update, have decided NOT to fit single line brakes, and have bought and fitted a dual system, all I have to do now is replace the piping to the split (front/rear), then possibly larger diameter line to the front cylinder. I have all the parts now bar adjusters (mine move) to rebuild them and have started on the rears. I should be picking up a sand blasting cabinet in the next few days, so once I have that I can clean up the backing plates, paint them, and start assembling.
I had to temp fit the fronts, as I needed to have front wheels on, so stub axles and half shafts are fitted ( have to remove stubs to fit seals, and then refurb front brakes).
The Fronts I'm going to plumb backwards in that the bleed nipple is at the top, apart from that its like the later ones.

Oh have also replaced the clutch master cylinder, and have a new slave to be fitted. And got some new brake pipes, and some unions, pipe bender, and flare tool.

Bearmach loved me that day!! :D

Anyhoo here are the pics.

Y45-3.jpg

WP_20140110_003.jpg

WP_20140110_004.jpg

WP_20140110_002.jpg

WP_20140110_006.jpg

WP_20140115_008.jpg

WP_20140115_010_stitch.jpg

WP_20140115_011.jpg

WP_20140115_012.jpg

WP_20140115_013.jpg

WP_20140115_015.jpg

WP_20140115_017.jpg

WP_20140116_001.jpg

WP_20140116_002.jpg

And the rear brakes.

WP_20140124_001.jpg

WP_20140124_002.jpg

WP_20140124_003.jpg

WP_20140124_004.jpg

Just a question, I am upgrading from Single line, to Twin line, using the master cylinder below.

WP_20140115_012.jpg

Now are the threaded fittings, the same size or different??
Also are the pipes from the rear cylinder, and the front cylinder different sizes??
And the main one, which is front/rear?? Green/Red??

Green is for the front, red for the rear. They are different sizes, presumably to prevent them being connected to the wrong axle.

Are you fitting the PDWA valve and warning light? The idea is that a leak in one system produces a Pressure Differential, which slides a shuttle inside the valve block, pressing on a plunger switch similar to the brake light switch giving the Warning Activation. PWDA, you see? ;) I'd recommend against it, to be honest - they're unreliable and cause a lot of extra aggravation when bleeding the system. I'd suggest using the level sensing cap from a Discovery or Defender, which is much more reliable and will pick up a very small leak that doesn't produce enough differential pressure to activate the PWDA system but does drop the level progressively. It's also easier to fit and doesn't need the self test relay. Just get the wiring tail from the donor's loom so that you have the plug to connect to the cap.

Pipes are all the same size. Standard 3/16" brake pipe.

Fittings different sizes as above. I think it's either M10 for one and M12 for the other or 3/8" UNF and 1/2" UNF if you have the imperial version. I did the exact same upgrade on my 88" when I rebuilt it - upgraded to servo-assist dual-line system with twin-leading shoes on the front. As was standard fit for 88" models from 1980 onwards.

I also swapped the pipes around on the front backplates to put the bleed point at the top and make bleeding easier. Worked a treat.

Fittings different sizes as above. I think it's either M10 for one and M12 for the other or 3/8" UNF and 1/2" UNF if you have the imperial version. I did the exact same upgrade on my 88" when I rebuilt it - upgraded to servo-assist dual-line system with twin-leading shoes on the front. As was standard fit for 88" models from 1980 onwards.

I also swapped the pipes around on the front backplates to put the bleed point at the top and make bleeding easier. Worked a treat.

This is exactly what I'm planning tbh, I'll have 11inch brakes all around with the 3inch wide D.L.Es up front, with 2 inch wide S.L.E on the rear.

As for the brake warning valve 100% NOT fitting it, as the reservoir I have has 2 compartments, so if one leaks it shouldn't lose all the fluid. But I'll always check before going out in it, along with oil, and water.

Now to find out what thread size the master cylinder is :-)

This is exactly what I'm planning tbh, I'll have 11inch brakes all around with the 3inch wide D.L.Es up front, with 2 inch wide S.L.E on the rear.

As for the brake warning valve 100% NOT fitting it, as the reservoir I have has 2 compartments, so if one leaks it shouldn't lose all the fluid. But I'll always check before going out in it, along with oil, and water.

Like I said, the cap from a scrapped Discovery fits the SIII reservoir, so any leak will bring up a warning light before you lose the brakes. I doubt the scrappy would even charge you for the parts. It's a very worthwhile and simple yob - just run a feed from the green wired (fused) terminals in the fuse box to a dash light, with the bulb earth running out through to the reservoir cap, the other cap wire running to earth.

Like I said, the cap from a scrapped Discovery fits the SIII reservoir, so any leak will bring up a warning light before you lose the brakes. I doubt the scrappy would even charge you for the parts. It's a very worthwhile and simple yob - just run a feed from the green wired (fused) terminals in the fuse box to a dash light, with the bulb earth running out through to the reservoir cap, the other cap wire running to earth.

Worth doing then!!

WIll have a look out for one.

I saw a cap and Defender reservoir going on the For Sale forum, but it doesn't have the wiring tail and plug from the loom to connect to it. You may be able knock something up with some female blade terminals, though, as you don't have to disconnect the plug to remove the cap. http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=87792 The cap will fit, and you can just bin the reservoir.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm that the larger fitting on the master cylinder is 7/16ths?? As I have tried a M10 and 3/8, both slide in, the 1/2 I have will not fit not even close :(

My blasting cabinet hasn't arrived, as my mate was getting it off a contractor in his works and they taking ages. But I have ordered new bleed nipples and a full set of all unions I will need.

This is my headache, Master Cylinder is UNF 3/8 and 7/16, the new twin pipes will be metric M10, onto Metric brake hoses, then onto a Metric converter to UNF 3/8 onto the cylinders.

The UNF and Metric combination is going to get annoying lol. But I'll have to make a laminated page with the diagram on, with the sizes and explanations. As in the future it could become a p-i-t-a.

But I have fitted my retractable air hose ready so I can use my air impact guns on the stubborn leaf spring bolts.

1560709_10153739320730316_1227530869_n.j1901344_10153739320700316_2080393806_n.j

to be quite honest snagger, i have air tools and while theyre good, the noise of the compresser kicking in does my nut in, plus half the time it trips the socket circuit haha.

i probably need to give it a good service to make sure its working as it should as maybe it has started to get stiff haha.

id love an electric impact gun!

P.S. nice reel. i have a retractable air hose best air tool i ever bought haha so much easier to keep out the way and you dont trip over it

• 1 month later...

Well I started to get the sand blasting done, BUT I had to stop as the compressor stopped working :(
So started to strip it down as I thought the motor had seized, but having ruled that out, the conrod on the piston has seized, so had to be snapped to be removed :(

So I'm either looking for a new conrod for the Atlas Copco TE22E, or a new bloody compressor.

Anyways here's a couple of pics of the damage :(

WP_20140311_009.jpg

WP_20140311_008.jpg

WP_20140311_007.jpg

WP_20140311_006.jpg

WP_20140311_004.jpg

Apologies for the amount of colours on my Landy, she will end up the Yellow of the bonnet :D

WP_20140311_003.jpg