td5 temperature guage reading low

Hi All,

looking for some help and ideas with my landy on temp guage readings.

recently had thermostat changed as garage said it was dead and that was why guage was sitting lower than it usually does, ie nearer quarter than the normal tiny shade off bang on in middle.

thermostat changed and bled down with fresh water and coolant - i declinded idea of just catching worst of it in a bucket and chucking back in.

all back to normal for week or two and now back to lower readings. it was plugged into the diagnostics at time and no error codes - no oil/ecu issues etc so am stumped.

stat used was an almakes one.

temp guage has sat in same place for last 5 yrs so its a definite change.

any ideas welcome

Didn't they check the actual temperature with the diagnostic kit?

My engine takes an age to warm up, I changed the thermostat when i had to fit a new rad, unfortunately it came in a blue box............

Hi sean,

yep temp was checked on autologic when at garage and if i remember right was around 88.

its just weird as in the 5 yrs and 70k miles or so i have done its always sat in same place once warmed up.

Mine always sit off to the left, not Center. In the past 10yrs I've had it, it was always like that. I've a nanocom and it read between 31 on startup to 90 on a hard run. If left sitting, will read 88.2. It sits at that off center position from 76 to 90.

Try running a wire from the earth bolt under the drivers seat near the ecu to the negative terminal on the battery and are if that helps. If it does you have a earth daily and need to run a extra wire to fix the problem.

• 6 years later...

I've got a 2004 Defender Td5 90 ,had it from new.

The temp gauge usually is a bit left of centre , but I noticed 2 days ago after a run it was just right of cold, probably about a quarter of the way up to center , 

I checked the header tank and that was normal, is it a problem with the thermostat ? I've read about them sticking. Or is it something worse that I should know about. Something must be working because it moves.

Due to this Covid19 fiasco the car's not run for 2 months which is very unusual for it, apart from a shopping trip of 10 kms. once a week.

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers Dave

fluctuating temperature on the TD5 is often an indication of intermittent power or low voltage or poor earth - sometimes it seems to read "lower" and sometimes it will spike up into the red for a few seconds and then back to normal.

check your feed wires into the fuse box under the seat

check your earth straps

could also be the dreaded oil in the engine harness causing voltage havoc in the ECU

check whether your alternator is charging - sometimes the charge wires break off inside the insulation - causing it to work sometimes and sometimes not, very frustrating.