200tdi Fuel sender and gauge

Since I put the 90 back together again I have not had a functioning fuel guage.

For the 1st week or so it fluctuated randomly but now it just reads empty :(

So, the question is - how is the fuel guage wired? Does it just go direct from sender to the dial, or is there something in between?

I wonder if during the rebuild I have broken a wire somewhere along the line. To test the guage, I was planning to run a couple of wires direct from the sender to the back to the gauge.

Would this work? I also have access to a spare gauge so should be able to rule out the gauge fairly quickly.

Feed should go IIRC through the instrument to earth via the sender (variable resister) which alters the resistance earth depending on how much fuel is in the tank, the resistance creates heat and so deflection of the guage......

on the other hand I may well be talking pants :unsure:

to test the guage, stick the outgoing side to earth and it should go to full scale deflection

Feed should go IIRC through the instrument to earth via the sender (variable resister) which alters the resistance earth depending on how much fuel is in the tank, the resistance creates heat and so deflection of the guage......

on the other hand I may well be talking pants :unsure:

to test the guage, stick the outgoing side to earth and it should go to full scale deflection

In the same vein - if you can get to it easily, place the wire (at the sender unit) that comes from the gauge, to earth (gauge should climb to maximum) - that will check your wiring all the way to the sender unit. If that works, either your sender unit, or any lead to earth from the sender, is faulty.

Cheers,