Spare parts list...

jameshub

I am off to live in Norway in next month and my ex-MOD Defender 1987 with 2.5n/a is coming with me. Norway is extremely expensive and I am going to put together a list of spares to take with me.

Can I ask people if they had to put together a list of parts, what would be on it?

Thanks

I guess I’d take a few years supply of service items.

You never know what going to fall off next so I really wouldn’t know what to take as spares, depends on what you’ve done, replaced recently.

• 4 weeks later...

I would take two classes of spares:

1. Items that are likely to wear out in the next couple of years. That includes standard service items, like oil/air filters, etc as Paddy says.

2. Items that are very costly to airmail over to Norway from UK. That would be anything large and/or heavy. That might include things like some extra tyres - depending on the cost of tyres in Norway.

Richard

3. Things that are hard to get, heavy to ship, and that you can sell to others in Norway for loads of money to fund what you need.

Piling a load of bulky/heavy, locally-valuable spares in the back could work out very nicely - especially parts which are cheap & plentiful over here but don't post well (EG diffs).

3. Things that are hard to get, heavy to ship, and that you can sell to others in Norway for loads of money to fund what you need.

Piling a load of bulky/heavy, locally-valuable spares in the back could work out very nicely - especially parts which are cheap & plentiful over here but don't post well (EG diffs).

great idea mate, thanks

I see from your other post that you’re not happy with the power of a 2.5 na, learn to live with it and love, it after all it is an 87 Defender. I’ve got a ‘91 and wouldn’t change a thing. If you’re dead set on a 200 tdi then do it now before you go and take the na engine with you, although you’re probably there now.

I see from your other post that you’re not happy with the power of a 2.5 na, learn to live with it and love, it after all it is an 87 Defender. I’ve got a ‘91 and wouldn’t change a thing. If you’re dead set on a 200 tdi then do it now before you go and take the na engine with you, although you’re probably there now.

not going until January so will be plenty of snow to play in!! - its not the engine i'm not happy with i'm just concerned that it seems to have become very fuel hungry and also power seems to be down for about the last month. I'm really no mechanic so i'm struggling to know what to look for that could be causing this

Probably just needs a tune-up - carbs need setting up, cleaning, etc., likewise ignition system, likewise things like tappets... go through the green bible giving everything a proper service,check,adjust,renew (using gen parts) and see how you end up.

thanks for your advise I will check the manual

not going until January so will be plenty of snow to play in!! - its not the engine i'm not happy with i'm just concerned that it seems to have become very fuel hungry and also power seems to be down for about the last month. I'm really no mechanic so i'm struggling to know what to look for that could be causing this

You’ll soon be a mechanic now you have a Landy !!

As in your other post, get the cam belt changed (probably a garage job) they could also check your Fuel injector pump and injectors too. As Fridgefreezer suggests do a service, especially filters.

You’ll soon be a mechanic now you have a Landy !!

As in your other post, get the cam belt changed (probably a garage job) they could also check your Fuel injector pump and injectors too. As Fridgefreezer suggests do a service, especially filters.

cheers, i'll get a quote from garage and do the rest myself.....or I will try

• 4 weeks later...

If it helps, I say go for a V8 :D

Probably doesn't help though. :ph34r:

I second that................. :i-m_so_happy:

300 Tdis are less reliable than a 200. they are are a bit fragile in the overheating department which rapidly ends up with a scrap head. They CAN be skimmed, but its not ideal, and really, its better NOT to have the problem in the first place.

If you get a small leak in the radiator, or the water pump seal fails (very common) as the coolant level is allowed to drop, it will do in the head gasket and/or the head itself. Other than that, its fine, but for my money I would have a 200 every time as it is more robust IMO

Regarding your noticable power loss...............could it be that you have just got used to it ? I would try a new fuel filter first, but get a good quality one.

I've lived with a tuned a 2.5NA for the last 6 years and done many miles in it.

Check the timing VERY carefully - it has to be EXACT in a NA. Read as much as you can to understand exactly what happens in the timing chest and fuel pump in relation to the timing marks/indents.and the locking of them.

Do the filter (plus sedimentor) but it wont make much difference - if it revs okay - they're clear. Airflow is the answer on a NA, more air in (plus fuel) = more power out

There's a later head for a NA that is 'gas flowed', in conjunction with a Donaldson/Wolf air box and the fuelling turned it'll pull like a train.

Fit the later13J cyclonic filter system for the crank breather if not already fitted.

Otherwise, rip it out and fit a Defender 200tdi engine