Issue setting engine timing

muttleyd

Right after much messing around and swapping engines have finally got it back together

Plugged in the lappy spark options to fixed timing set to 0 degrees. Crank it with the fuel fuse removed. Quick mod to the strobe light to make the leads long enough but then no sign of the marks. Another check to make sure the trigger wheel matches niges drawing, then crawl underneath with the light. Marks appear 90 degree out. Now am using cyl 6 as 1, is a bit inaccessible, but think that's OK. So change the strobe to cyl 5 and hey presto timing is spot on.

But very confused, have checked the coil and EDI's wiring

Now the worst I thought the trigger wheel is 1 tooth so 20 degrees not 90. Any ideas appreciated

Pics of timing wheel attached with marks at tdc

IMG_20130817_161618.jpg

IMG_20130817_161618.jpg

Following a conversation checked the EDI's wires again, thought I had found wiring error but it's consistent wrong both ends, so swapping it only stops it running. Seem to have trouble getting my 20year old gunson lighter working on plug 1 but the marks still appear to be 90 degrees from where you expect it paint marks show up clearly. Changing trim angle appears to have little effect. Trigger is on the fifth tooth from the space viewed from the rear.

Megatune coolant temp does not seem to change much sitting at around 30 degrees, whilst the vdo guage is showing 70. Whilst that might cause some rough running can't believe that is the cause of the timing light issue

Right a quick conversation with Nige seems to have solved my megasquirt woes. Could not work out why the engine would not run with the wiring appearing to be correct and the timing seemingly out by 90deg. Couldnot get strobe signal off of cyl 1 but 6 worked. Running through the wiring for the coils to EDI's, seems I had wired to the pin numbers on the ford coil plugs, and there in lies the problem. A quick shuffle of the wires and strikes up running soooo much betterer. Timing marks much closer, was sure I couldn't be that far out with the wheel.

So make sure you get the wires to the right coils and ignore the pin numbers on the plug. Also seems as though I have a dodgy post on the coil pack. So I seem to have made life difficult for myself.

Oh and it appears I have crossed the coolant and mat temp wires on my relay board to ecu loom as my air temp was at 50 and coolant at 24...... Hated making that cable.

But at last feels much closer. Another resoldering session and I can start to finally tidy the loom up and get an not

Sorry for disturbing your Saturday morning Nige but will have a huge grin on my face all weekend now :-)

So now I can actually time it And just to confirm. The light is showing 10 deg and megatune the same. As its wasted spark does that actually mean I am 5 degrees short and need to set the trim to five degrees so the light shows the light shows 20?

mmm, no, it means you have it just right :)

Wasted spark just means it is firing two cylinders at the same time, it doesn't change the timing at all.

Just be careful if you have a fancy timing gun, they can confuse issues more, simple is as simple does.... and is best :)