Last set of "Build-up" pics...

DiscoDino

I know most of you are sick and tired of this build (I'm kinda partial as I got to test the truck out this weekend)

Well, all in all, RUNNING great for all the build up (new engine, transfer case, underdrive, alternator, hydro pump, lots of chassis work, re-wiring, etc...)

Pending are a couple of things, mainly bleeding the brakes, exhaust redo, some "cleaning up" installations (footwell, fenders, etc...) tools fixing, etc...need to wire the ARBs in and the winches...

Truck drives great, at 90km/hr has no shaking at all...lots of tire howling though...the steering is effortless at any RPM/speed range, and centers quite well. Trying to get used to the old Auto shifter (not sure why the new type didn't fit)...

Couple of questions before the pics:

1. Can I fit an aftermarket shifter? If yes, any specific type/model?

2. Planning on putting M8274-50 in the rear as the front, but with the bigger axles coming in, and lots of space (+ weight to spare out back above the diff) was thinking maybe an M12 or a 16.5ti would be better...any thoughts?

Here goes:

102" wheelbase...needs to be stretched to 108" (Summer 07 project)

Profile.sized.jpg

Front stance...Golf Series 1 front headlights

Front_stance.sized.jpg

Tube work...very tight and solid...

Top_Front.sized.jpg

Front stinger

Top_Front_Clip.sized.jpg

Rear cargo set-up (scuba tank in the middle, need to secure Pull-Pal & closures for rear tool box). Fuel filler will get a cage around it so that I don't knock it off accidentally...

Rear_Layout_3.sized.jpg

Flex :flipoff2:

Flex_2.sized.jpg

Alongside my brother-in-law's Nissan Murano (fast 4x4)

luxury_1.sized.jpg

Beauty shot (its gorgeous, I don't care what you say :))

Close_Portrait.sized.jpg

I've always liked this project. Really great.

Good to see it 'finished' (whatever that means).

It could be just my eyes or the angle of the pic, but the main bar along the top of the windscreen looks to be curved to follow the body/windscreen line. Did you use a roll-bender for that, or just bend it at discrete points along its length, or are my eyes deceiving me?

Good stuff! Cheers, Al.

Thx guys...should be wheeling it very soon...

It could be just my eyes or the angle of the pic, but the main bar along the top of the windscreen looks to be curved to follow the body/windscreen line. Did you use a roll-bender for that, or just bend it at discrete points along its length, or are my eyes deceiving me?

Hey Al, that bar was discretely bent at certain points...since it is a key bar, I did not want to go too thin on the wall thickness despite going thinner in the overall diameter...so the roll-bender I had access to was not able to bend it at all :)

I know most of you are sick and tired of this build (I'm kinda partial as I got to test the truck out this weekend)

Well, all in all, RUNNING great for all the build up (new engine, transfer case, underdrive, alternator, hydro pump, lots of chassis work, re-wiring, etc...)

Pending are a couple of things, mainly bleeding the brakes, exhaust redo, some "cleaning up" installations (footwell, fenders, etc...) tools fixing, etc...need to wire the ARBs in and the winches...

Truck drives great, at 90km/hr has no shaking at all...lots of tire howling though...the steering is effortless at any RPM/speed range, and centers quite well. Trying to get used to the old Auto shifter (not sure why the new type didn't fit)...

Couple of questions before the pics:

1. Can I fit an aftermarket shifter? If yes, any specific type/model?

2. Planning on putting M8274-50 in the rear as the front, but with the bigger axles coming in, and lots of space (+ weight to spare out back above the diff) was thinking maybe an M12 or a 16.5ti would be better...any thoughts?

Here goes:

102" wheelbase...needs to be stretched to 108" (Summer 07 project)

Profile.sized.jpg

Front stance...Golf Series 1 front headlights

Front_stance.sized.jpg

Tube work...very tight and solid...

Top_Front.sized.jpg

Front stinger

Top_Front_Clip.sized.jpg

Rear cargo set-up (scuba tank in the middle, need to secure Pull-Pal & closures for rear tool box). Fuel filler will get a cage around it so that I don't knock it off accidentally...

Rear_Layout_3.sized.jpg

Flex :flipoff2:

Flex_2.sized.jpg

Alongside my brother-in-law's Nissan Murano (fast 4x4)

luxury_1.sized.jpg

Beauty shot (its gorgeous, I don't care what you say :))

Close_Portrait.sized.jpg

Hi there DD

For some reason I am not seeing any links to your photos.....

is there someother way for me to view?

Was thinking of traybacking my disco so am looking at what others have done..

Regards

DefcoL

Hey Al, that bar was discretely bent at certain points...

Cool, it worked well.

What is the plan for the new axles? (Without turning this into another bloomin axle thread please folks...)

For the new wheelbase, will you spread them out symmetrically, or just move one axle or whats the plan?

Ta, Al.

Axles on plan are steering Rockwells front and rear...with passenger side drop, spools, 2" chromo axles, dual pinion discs, & 4 link-ed with coil overs...the math on lengths and dimensions are yet to come, but with them shaved (mohawk style), I should not lose any ground clearance...

Wheelbase should be extended ~5" front and ~3" rear...

At least that's the plan...

Oh, and before anyone asks/adds, I'll be selling my U1300 Unimog axles as (a) I hate drum brakes, and its gonna cost a fortune to get discs on them (B) pinion conversion / passenger drop is gonna be weird and © I got a great profit margin on them :)