Front A frame, no panhard bar.

o_teunico

Radius arms, with the front eye cut off and the bushing hole sleeved down to take rear trailing arm chassis bushings can be used, but their weight is a bit of overkill for a 3 link setup, because the links are not subject to the same bending forces as radius arms when braking or under power. Although I have sleeved my lower front links, made from trailing arms, for extra insurance, I never did bend the originals, but that may have been due to the extra ground clearance from the portals and larger tyres.

with the front eye cut off and the bushing hole sleeved down to take rear trailing arm chassis bushings can be used

That idea appeals me more. I wouldn´t worry about some extra kg if that is gonna give me peace of mind. In fact QT make their (lower) 3rd link in radious arm fashion.

3%20Link%204.JPG

That idea appeals me more. I wouldn´t worry about some extra kg if that is gonna give me peace of mind. In fact QT make their (lower) 3rd link in radious arm fashion.

3%20Link%204.JPG

I'm really not too keen on that lower 3rd link design. Being a ground clearance enthusiast, it looks all wrong to me. I acknowledge that it does effectively protect the vulnerable steering track rod, but there has to be a better way. Not sure about the geometric dynamic behaviour of that design either.

There was a 3 link thread on the LandRover forum on Pirate awhile back, and the broadly similar Safari Guard system came across as the least appealing solution to gaining improved articulation.

have you thought about using the same sort of a frame principal, but incorporating it into the radius arms? kind of 4 link system?

post-13725-0-25739000-1379540577_thumb.png

it would need some form of cleverness at the axle end in order to allow rotation in the articulation direction while restraining fore and aft rotation. bushes would limit articulation way more than the standard setup i fear

just my 2p

How does yours perform on and offroad ? I will try to find the thread discussion on Pirate, because I can't recall the actual detail of the criticisms of the SG unit.
Bill - I don't have enough experience or expertise to give you an answer that your experience and expertise deserves !

Though , I like it and will have a go at answering:

On road handling seems comparable to the radius arm set up after removing the anti roll bars. So I am presuming that that, coupled with soft springs, is what has made for a lot of body roll when tipping it into corners.

With attention and smooth acceleration, through the bend, the forces can be balanced out. I intend to try different spring rates though to see if the ride can be improved.

Off road I really like it. The body roll does seem like its a bit much on side slopes - but other than that the balance front to back seems good. I drive as gently as possible, with open diffs and standard drive train and I find it remarkable how giving it time it will settle itself and find some grip. On rocks it feel like it gently fidgets itself into a position where it will drive.

So as a bit of an ignoramus - I like it !

Forgot to measure distance between radious arms and trailing arms´ mounts on chassis, but should be about 100cm (40") if the wheelbase has to be 100".

Measured it today: 94 cm.

A cranked upper link (made out of an old radious arm) could be fitted from diff to gearbox crossmember, but I don´t see any other place suitable without fouling engine or box.

Space will be tight, as engine mount, oil filter and clutch slave cylinder.

dp7u.jpg

Another option: fit 3rd (centered) link facing forward.

ymd4.jpg