Ashcroft 1.003 :1 transfercase gears question ?

bill van snorkle

As above. Are these gears specially designed items? Or are they reproductions of obsolete LandRover components?

Reason for asking is that I am building an LT230 crawler box for a Unimog axled vehicle. With the Mog axle ratio at 7.56:1,I want the higher transfer gears for reasonable road speed, but want to base the crawler unit around the common 26 tooth 32mm wide LT230T input gear, rather than the 1.003 gears of the earlier transfer cases as fitted to 727 auto trans RRC's.

Bill.

Hi Bill. Did you ask Dave? They are original LR design, made by the supplier who made for LR. Regards. Ian

Hi Ian. Thanks for your reply. The only 1.003 gears that I was aware of were the needle roller bearing set as fitted behind 727 auto transmissions, with the narrow input gear. The photo of the 1.003 gear set on your website showed a 32mm wide gear in the centre of the intermediate set, which got me wondering if Land Rover made the 1.003 gears in the wider format with taper roller intermediate bearings. Thanks for clearing up my confusion.

No,I have contacted Dave as yet, but a friend of mine is making enquiries through the Ashcroft Transmissions website. In the meantime, on his behalf, I am playing with a jigsaw puzzle of bits off a dead GKN overdrive, A Borg Warner Quadratrac planetary reduction box and a 1.41:1 LT230 t/case.

Regards, Bill.

Bill - if it helps I have both types. My current LT230 is an old LT230R 1.003:1, and my "about to be fitted" one is a recon (believed to be Ashcrofts) LT230T 1.003:1 which I didn't know was ever made till it turned up and wasn't a roller-bearing type.

I'd be interested to know the differences as at some point I want to fit a Defender hydraulic PTO, if I ever fit the bl**dy winch... <_<

Bill - if it helps I have both types. My current LT230 is an old LT230R 1.003:1, and my "about to be fitted" one is a recon (believed to be Ashcrofts) LT230T 1.003:1 which I didn't know was ever made till it turned up and wasn't a roller-bearing type.

I'd be interested to know the differences as at some point I want to fit a Defender hydraulic PTO, if I ever fit the bl**dy winch... <_<

Thanks Fridge. Do you know the tooth count on the input gear of your LT230 T gear set. It doesn't matter much at this mock up stage for the crawler box, but the gear I have has 26 teeth.

Apparently the LT230T 1.003 gears were used over here behind Isuzu 4BD1's and LT85 5spds. I never knew either.

Bill.

Hi Bill. Both the R and the T are. 26t but do not try to mix and match R with T gears as you will know the width is different but also the pressure angle of the teeth is different. Regards. Ian Ashcroft.

Thanks again Ian. The GkN mainshaft gears I am working with are the wide 26 tooth type, so your 1.003 gears will be a match.

Incidently, a mate who collects the earlier 1.003 LT230 R t/cases, reckons he's never found a bad one with respect to the intermediate shaft and bearings, but during my working career, I came across many LT230T units with worn gears and hogged out intermediate shaft bores in the casing due to sloppy taper bearings. Do you believe the taper roller modification was a positive improvement ? The wider gears obviously were, although I have never seen a broken narrow one.