Puncture repair sprays...NO thanks!

o_teunico

Some years ago I successfully repaired a small puncture with one of those foam sprays in my daily driver, a Fiat Tipo. Yesterday I went to the tyre shop to get two new tyres (have a MoT test next saturday).

When collecting the car...

Mechanic: WTF have you done on that wheel?

O´Téunico: Errrr...

M:Have you used one of those puncture repair cans?

OT:Yes, why?

M:Well, that product has been "eating" the aluminium of the wheel. Let´s hope it can contain the air without leaking. I have used plenty of tyre grease...but cannot guarantee it will work.

OT: Ooooops!

So, avoid those magic cans if you don´t whant to be forced to buy new wheels!

Squirty-can stuff is only ever intended as a get-you-to-the-tyre-repair-place-to-get-a-proper-repair fix.

If you leave it for days/weeks/months - well, my local reputable tyre-place will by default treat the tyre/tube as so much scrap since they can't make a good judgement on how long the tyre was run flat *before* you squirted the foamy-stuff into it.

Not having alloys, I wouldn't want to comment on what squirty-foam-stuff does to them in the absence of tubes - but can totally understand why a tyre-shop would not want to accept legal responsibility for the security of future tyre-to-rim-bead sealing if squirty-foam was involved.