Disco 1 heater slow to warm up

JimDay

Hi I have a Disco 1 with the 300TDi engine & now that winter is on it's way I've noticed unlike the cars I have owned in the past the heater does not warm up if let to tickover in the morning at 5.30am it warms up fine when you drive & the temp gauge never goes above half way even in hot weather once the vehicle is warmed it's fine unless you let it tickover for a while then the temp gauge drops & the heater cools down any ideas.

I should maybe mention it still has the viscous fan fitted

My money is on the thermostat.

88 degree stat should be perfect, and as far as the viscous fan goes it shouldn't make that much difference as the stat controls the water temp before it gets to the rad where it will cool and the heater is a sort of bypass of the rad and sends hot water straight to the heater matrix and into the cab before getting cooled in the rad.

Or you could be brave and whip the viscous off for the winter but my money is still on the stat.

Hi Nigel I can understand where your coming from with the stat

But if the stat was faulty it would never warm up but it does & it stays warm unless it's allowed to tickover for a while even in the high temperatures we had during the summer months it was the same

Looks like I may have to remove the fan

It's a 300 TDi & I know it's not advisable to leave any engine on tick over for long periods but this is like when you stop in traffic for long periods (M25 type traffic) the temp drops maybe I shouldn't be complaining but in the winter it's a pain in the bum

Maybe I need a radiator muff for the winter months

My 200tdi can cool itself down below the normal operating temp during winter while sitting idling with the heater on full whack. Im not sure it could do it in the summer though. I dont have any fan on the rad whatsoever Maybe not sensible but it has never over heated even in the hottest of british weather.

Is it possible that you have a leaky thermostat? Open enough to cool the engine to normal operating temp but at lower speeds letting enough coolant into the rad so that the heater is capable of cooling it down below its normal operating temp?

Jad

Would replace thermostat first to ensure the block is getting up to temp, but other than that it can be the case that the heater can draw sufficient heat off the engine to keep it cool, maybe a rad muff for winter but would be more inclined to remove the viscous fan and keep it and the spanner in the boot should it be needed but over winter more than likely not!

For what its worth, on my 300tdi I have a radiator with most of the fins missing and run all year round with viscous fan removed. I have never seen the temperature gauge rise above the middle though I do keep the fan and the fan spanner in the back, just in case.

If you are getting a certain amount of warmth through the heater, then it is certain the water is circulating; the heat you will get from your heater is governed by the thermostat which will only allow the water to circulate once it has reached the temperature the thermostat is set for, however like everything they do either fail straight away or fail slowly, you can buy thermostats that open at different temperatures, but I would suggest you remove the old one first and replace with new and see how you get on.

Well new stat fitted not had chance to run it properly but it seems better just on tickover it warmed up quicker, I have removed the viscous fan as it has a lot of play in the viscous coupling so now I need to source one of those for the summer as I tow a caravan & don't want to risk it over heating

My 300 TDi's heater went the other way, first there was the dreaded gurgling sound, that got less, and yes the heating performance diminished gradually. Thermostat and viscous fan 100%. The end result eventually, was a totally blocked heater core........I bypassed the heater core, and will try to un block, by blowing water through the heater core, in the opposite direction of flow.........