What electronic gizmo is causing this?

DiscoHere

Hi all

My 03 Td5 has started to act peculiarly on start up in recent times. Here is the problem.

Occasionally when started the engine dies immediately. When I try restart it it just continues to turn over and over without firing. I have noticed on these occasions that the glow plug heater light is not illuminated on the dash board. If I get out of the car and lock it then reopen it with the key fob it starts most times. However at that stage sometimes the lovely M and S lights blink and I am confined to limp home mode. If I again lock the car and start it most times it starts normally.

I am convinced that it is some electronic gizmo the controls the immobiliser or alarm system that is at fault but where to start looking I have no idea. All suggestions and comments welcome

Thanks

Hugh

First thing I'd check would the Immobiliser transponder, it wraps around the ignition barrel and senses the chip in the key to disable the immobiliser, and also the battery in the key.

I'm guessing its an Auto if the M&S lights are flashing. The M&S lights flashing indicate an electrical problem with the Auto box, and in the manual recommends sending it to a dealer to be plugged in but first I'd check the fluid level and see if that fixes the flashing lights. It happened to me with my Disco when there was a very small fluid leak.

It could be that the two aren't even related. If they are related it sounds like you have a chaffed or exposed wire somewhere in the look causing a short........ either way I'd be checking those first and praying you don't have to start chasing wires!!!

Hope that helps

Mat

I have a peugeot Partner van with almost the same symptoms.

Occasionally when started the engine dies immediately. When I try restart it it just continues to turn over and over without firing. I have noticed on these occasions that the glow plug heater light is not illuminated on the dash board. If I get out of the car and lock it then reopen it with the key fob it starts most times. However at that stage sometimes the lovely M and S lights blink and I am confined to limp home mode. If I again lock the car and start it most times it starts normally.

I have a thread in the international forum about it, although most seem to believe it to be a dry solder joint as my particular problem has an addition that the gauges die and the din from the engine is horrendous, so it also has something to do with the EDC fitted to this pile of junk.

For your problem I would actually suggest putting it on a test book as it could well be an immobiliser fault or something as simple as the battery in the fob.

Not sure if all your components are all linked in the BECM??? They are not unknown to fail or at least be affected by water ingress from condensation caused by a leaky something or deep wading.

• 3 weeks later...

A standard OBD2 reader might give you some ideas, but I am sure the TD5 has a crank angle sensor, the same as the V8 and flashing those lights or one of them was an engine fault sensor failure indicator, so spend $40 and get a reader and see what codes are coming up..

The D2 TD5 is not OBD2 compliant. Need Nanocom or Hawkeye

Griff

I guess I must have imagined plugging one in a few months ago and reading info off it :)

The main engine components are compliant, the extras, ABS etc and all that aren't part of the spec, but you can still talk to them if you know the address and commands.

If you crack those open you'll almost certainly find an ELM327 in there as it is the protocol.